CAPE YORK Itinerary help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi RLI,

Thanks for the info again. Fk it gotta give the OTT a go

G,day Nismo,

Mate, it’s one of those once in a life time experiences, if you see an opportunity in life like travelling on the Telegraph track “you have to go for it”. Mate, you do not need to complete any difficult stages of the track if it is going to compromise the safety of your family or damage your vehicle.

There is a Cock-Head Tree outside the front of Bramwell Junction roadhouse for all those cock-heads and dick-brains that wrecked their vehicles on the Telegraph track due to stupidity. Their number plates hang of this tree as a reminder to everyone to take it easy.

Another option is to set up camp at Bramwell Junction, travel the southern section of the track with your mates with just your vehicles and required recovery gear. Set of early morning allow 5 hours driving. Have lunch at Gunshot whilst watching the cock-heads and dick-brains damage their trucks. Arrive mid-afternoon at Fruit-bat falls for a refreshing swim (possible increase your family size 9 months later) it’s that sort of place.

Travel 70ks back to Bramwell Junction via Southern Bypass Road. Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of Telegraph track driving stress relive beverages, followed by a good bullshit session. (By now you should be well and truly getting into the swing of things!)

The following morning leave around 7.00am, head back up the Southern Bypass Road to the junction which turns right into the Northern section of the Telegraph track. Set up camp at Elliot falls. With just your vehicles and required recovery gear, set of and allow 3 hours driving. Have lunch at Nolan’s Brook whilst watching the cock-heads and dick-brains damage their trucks. (Yehaa baby you did it!) Shit shave shampoo followed by a good feed and copious amounts of Telegraph track driving stress relive beverages, followed by another we made it bullshit session.

PS I recommend you purchase the following publications;

1. Cape York (An Adventure’s Guide) by Ron and Viv Moon.

2. Cape York (Atlas &Guide) by Hema maps

Regards,

RLI
:tazzy::shooter:

lol thanks mate bloody top knotch info. should get admin to make this a sticky!! also showed the guys the intinerary and they were bloody impressed and had a good laugh!! cheers again mate.

Cape York is a popular topic among the local 4wders lately. the wife and i have been plannig our Cape Trip for the last 6months and its slowly creeping up on us. we leave on the 18 July so only 3weeks away. Leaving from Brisbane then heading to Cairns to catch up with friends and 6 other vehicles and head up fomr there. we taken 5 weeks to do the trip thats including leaving Brisbane and getting back to Brisbane. we are gonna seriously take our time. it really works out 3weeks from Cairns and Back to Cairns. then a few days relax before and after the trip. its gonna be hard going to work the monday after we get back on the Saturday/sunday :(. we are even contemplating Putting the Big Rig on the QRail train back and just getting a berth for the 2 of us to relax even more on the ride home. Thats easy said cause i work for Queensland Rail so discounts apply /cheer

Rusty

Cape York is a popular topic among the local 4wders lately. the wife and i have been plannig our Cape Trip for the last 6months and its slowly creeping up on us. we leave on the 18 July so only 3weeks away. Leaving from Brisbane then heading to Cairns to catch up with friends and 6 other vehicles and head up fomr there. we taken 5 weeks to do the trip thats including leaving Brisbane and getting back to Brisbane. we are gonna seriously take our time. it really works out 3weeks from Cairns and Back to Cairns. then a few days relax before and after the trip. its gonna be hard going to work the monday after we get back on the Saturday/sunday :(. we are even contemplating Putting the Big Rig on the QRail train back and just getting a berth for the 2 of us to relax even more on the ride home. Thats easy said cause i work for Queensland Rail so discounts apply /cheer

Rusty
we hope to catch u up there rusty we leave cairns the 31st

Hi
THanks RLI. That is some great information. We are planning a trip up next year and looks like we will be the only ones in our group not towing a camper (we will leave ours in CAirns). I used to live/work in Cairns and have done a fair bit of work on the PDR up to Coen. We are planning to some of the OTL. I think I will make refernce to your itinary when having our group discussions to plan our route and time taken. Unfortunately we will probably be limited to school hols (2 boys in primary and third not quite school age). Have heard that it is quite busy in school hols. Our d22 is getting lifted next week and am ordering a snorkel from nizzbits. Other than recovery points our vehicle will essentially be standard. Are there any other modifications you would recommend. (we have dual batt in tray with engel fridge)
Again, thanks for the info.

Hi
THanks RLI. That is some great information. We are planning a trip up next year and looks like we will be the only ones in our group not towing a camper (we will leave ours in CAirns). I used to live/work in Cairns and have done a fair bit of work on the PDR up to Coen. We are planning to some of the OTL. I think I will make refernce to your itinary when having our group discussions to plan our route and time taken. Unfortunately we will probably be limited to school hols (2 boys in primary and third not quite school age). Have heard that it is quite busy in school hols. Our d22 is getting lifted next week and am ordering a snorkel from nizzbits. Other than recovery points our vehicle will essentially be standard. Are there any other modifications you would recommend. (we have dual batt in tray with engel fridge)
Again, thanks for the info.

G, day mate,

Pre-trip preparation!

Make sure you fully service your vehicle before you leave i.e. change the engine oil, change the oil filters, change the fuel and air filters, change or check gearbox/transfer case oils, change or check front and rear diff oils, check the brake and clutch fluids, change engine coolant, water hoses and the fan belts, check the brakes and brake lines, check and repack the wheel bearings and front hubs, check and replace any wet seals. Check the exhaust and brackets, check fuel tanks, check and replace the windscreen wiper blades and fill your windscreen bottle with water. Check your battery, if it is more than 3 years old replace it. Check your vehicles lights, indicators and brake/tail lights. Check that your trailer plug is working correctly.

Suspension and tyres!

Fit quality suspension and tyres, (avoid “farking” cheap crap!) This will help elevate any potential disasters when travelling over the hundreds of kilometres of severe corrugations. (Remember what you pay is what you get when it comes to suspension and tyres.) One of the biggest problems that damage tyres on the developmental road is tyre pressures. Too low, they bag-out and get ripped to “farking” shreds on the sharp rocks that lay in the sides of the corrugations. Too high and they also get ripped to “farking” shreds by the protruding sharp rocks in the corrugations. The locals recommend around 28psi and travel around 80ks per hour. (When you head up to the Cape, check out any of the local towns or roadhouses to see all the damaged tyres that they “farking” get every year.) When it comes to tyres fit light truck tyres they are extremely tuff and more durable than there radial counter parts. Radial ATRs are too soft in the “farking” side walls and will definitely end up being “farking” corrugation bait for the developmental road.

Recovery gear and spares!

Make sure you carry the basic recovery kit with you, the minimum you will need is, snatch strap, snatch block, rated d or bow shackles, air compressor, tyre puncture repair kit and a couple of spare inner tubes, a water bra/tarp-cover (especially for those “farking” ball tearing water crossings) a shovel, high lift jack and or either an axe or a chainsaw. (If you or one of your “farking” party as a winch, this too will be great!) Don’t forget to carry spare radiator hoses, fan belts. (If you have had your “farking” major service as suggested above, the old ones now become your spares.) Take with you an assortment of nut and bolts, especially suspension type i.e. shock absorber nuts, tie rod nuts, steering arm nuts. Suspension and tyre failures were the Peninsular Development Roads main “farking” culprit’s followed thirdly by “farking” battery failure.

Daily routine maintenance!

Get into a daily “farking” routine of checking first thing in the morning, tyre pressures, wheel nuts, oil and water levels, check air filter, and check for any damage under your vehicle or any signs of fluid leaks.

Don’t forget to carry!

A quality first aid kit (especially if you have children.) Carry plenty of insect repellent and anti-itching creams. Don’t forget the camera and mobile phone chargers and spare sim cards.

Remember to be croc wise!

After all, it is those “farkers” back yard! Don’t swim in any lagoons or rivers or the ocean up on the Cape especially at night time. These farkers are nocturnal and are more active at night, and so too are the “farking” sharks!

RLI’s final Cape advice!

Remember to reduce tyre pressures to around 28psi and travel around 80ks per hour to help avoid “farking” damage to you, your family and most important your vehicle. Remember it’s supposed to be a life changing holiday, not a race to destroy your “farking” vehicle. (Don’t allow your number plate to be added with all those other “farking” Dick-brains on the dreaded “farking” Cock-head tree at Bramwell Junction whom “farked” their vehicle!!)

Any info on the conditions of the Telegraph Track, contact Jamie at Bramwell Junction roadhouse on (07) 4060-3230.

All the “farking” best on your trip

PS, Last year at the Cape my D40 tie rod nut failed on the developmental road. I had to refit another nut at Archer river roadhouse.

Regards,

RLI
:rambo::deadhorse:

RLI

That is some super quality information. Looks like my list just grew. Not only the spares bits but quality checks and a full service. It's gonna be a full on next couple of weeks

RLI

That is some super quality information. Looks like my list just grew. Not only the spares bits but quality checks and a full service. It's gonna be a full on next couple of weeks

Mate,

We had a saying in the Army, Train hard fight easy, when it comes to serious off-road camping trips, research and service your vehicle hard and holiday easy! Its that "farking" easy! Good luck and enjoy your journey!

Regards,

RLI
:shooter:

this thread has been interesting to follow maybe some similar trheads need to be started like ayres rock and such places so the ones who do know can let the ones who dont work out where the good places to stop and such are how far between fuel things for kids to do .etc,etc

Dont forget Fruitbat Falls and Elliot Twins. Must do. Tackle the creb possible also. Well worth it. Dont forget the lions Den.

Adoos

Lions Den is our first stop as we are heading coast road from Cairns then going inland to peninsula road to the top. Going through Tele track obviously

Adoos

Lions Den is our first stop as we are heading coast road from Cairns then going inland to peninsula road to the top. Going through Tele track obviously

hey RLI,just looking through all the permit stuff i have to sort out can u recommend a camp site in lakefield north of lakefield ranger station? and also just been on derm and cant seem to find the actual camping spot i.e dalhunty creek on the otl it only has north or south jardine river camping areas?

hey RLI,just looking through all the permit stuff i have to sort out can u recommend a camp site in lakefield north of lakefield ranger station? and also just been on derm and cant seem to find the actual camping spot i.e dalhunty creek on the otl it only has north or south jardine river camping areas?

G, day Boxy,

The following camp sites are good to stay at, 12 Mile Waterhole east of New Laura, Kalpower Crossing on the Normandy River; it has toilets, fireplaces and good access to launch your tinny for some good fishing to be had. Further North you have the beautiful Hann Crossing located on the Kennedy River, get in early as this place gets packed fairly quickly. Finally further north you have Saltwater Crossing, 5 Mile Creek or Annie River camp sites. Good Barra fishing at night at Annie River.

Dulhunty River camp site is about 30ks north of Bramwell Junction Roadhouse on the Old Telegraph track. First you will cross the dreaded Palm Creek, then Ducie River, South Alice and North Alice Creeks and next is Dulhunty. Camp spots either side of the River.

I hope this info will help you. Enjoy!

Regards,

RLI
:deadhorse:

G, day Boxy,

The following camp sites are good to stay at, 12 Mile Waterhole east of New Laura, Kalpower Crossing on the Normandy River; it has toilets, fireplaces and good access to launch your tinny for some good fishing to be had. Further North you have the beautiful Hann Crossing located on the Kennedy River, get in early as this place gets packed fairly quickly. Finally further north you have Saltwater Crossing, 5 Mile Creek or Annie River camp sites. Good Barra fishing at night at Annie River.

Dulhunty River camp site is about 30ks north of Bramwell Junction Roadhouse on the Old Telegraph track. First you will cross the dreaded Palm Creek, then Ducie River, South Alice and North Alice Creeks and next is Dulhunty. Camp spots either side of the River.

I hope this info will help you. Enjoy!

Regards,

RLI
:deadhorse:
cheers mate might end up at kalpower coz we are coming through cape melville up the starcke

Back