Car Computer Project

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my pc got shipped this morning, so i will start collecting the other pieces in the coming weeks.

Now to constantly monitor UPS tracking site to see what wierd and wonderful placers this thing will go to on its way here.

If I was going to build a new carpc I would probably go down the Asus eeepc route, with a seperate touch screen mounted on the dash and the exobyte WOL startup controller. That way I could quicky remove it and use it for net browsing at caravan parks etc. Trying to web browse in the car is fairly ordinary.

Well the following Items were placed on order this morning.

Lilliput 8.4" HDMI touchscreen.
Carnetix CNX-P2140 DC-DC Regulator
Ram Mount PODI and VESA bracket
BU-353 USB GPS Mouse.

That should be enough to get me up and Running. Just need to decided which OBD-II interface to get,

1598.jpg

This is my Fit PC, scaled with a pack of cigarettes (non-smoker myself) i borrowed.

Currently software fit.
OS - Win 7
FE - Centrafuse 3
OBD-II - DashCommand

does the factory stereo have aux?
I will look into it, if that is the case that is what i will do.

The factory unit, inbuilt 6 stack CD version (ST - Thai built) does have Aux in however only on the front.

I've confirmed it doesn't on the back of the unit.

My STX has the AUX in the top glove box, the dealer even made a huge point to show me where it was and told me I shouldn't loose the cable he gave me for nothing because they are really expensive. So expensive DSE sell them for $2.50

This is looking great.

Dont forget to put the Service Manual PDF and a nice small PDF Reader on the PC :)

That would have been cool in the glove box. But i don't have one of those either, just went out and pulled the dash off and stacker out. Unless it is part of the actual loom, i have no Aux plug on back, in glove box or on the front. 06 STX

Yeah, i have pre loaded the service manual on pc already, i'm waiting for my sreen to arrive to test if it will work with touchscreen. Ideally i would like a touch screen compatible pdf reader that will embed in centrafuse.

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Over the last couple of days i have been overloading the UPS and FEDEX tracking sites, watching all the wonderful places my parts have been. The screen and power supply will have more stamps in their passports than i do. But it tells me everything should be here by Thurs 22. So my weekend has been assigned to install.

Well, even though the parts haven't all arrived yet. I have started running power and needed cables. Thus rendering car un-drivable. You will see why..

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture579-pre-install-dash.jpg

This is the dash before i started

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture580-removed-uhf-radio.jpg

Removed the UHF radio, Easy.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture581-removed-lower-center-console.jpg

Removed the lower center console parts, just give them a good yank and they will come out simple.

Now came all the fun parts. Lets play Nissans favourite game.
"Hide the Screws from the D40 Owner"

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture582-removed-rear-panel-center-console.jpg

I removed the Rear of the center console but before attempting this, you must remove the lid, this is not easily done as they are star screws, not phillips like the rest of the car. Then just pry it away.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture583-removed-top-cover-get-access-dash-screw.jpg

Remove the dash lid? cover? whatever it's called. Suprise, your first screw.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture584-removed-upper-center-dash.jpg

The dash will come away with a little bit of force. Some of this job is about force and some is finesse.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture585-removed-both-side-strips-aid-removal-glove-box.jpg

The little side strips just inside each door will come away easily, just peel back rubber with fingers and pry with small screw driver, this is a finesse step.
Looks like we have found some more hiddens screws

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture586-bye-bye-glove-box.jpg

The glove board comes away pretty easily. just gotta find all the screws

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture587-bye-bye-driver-side-kick-panel.jpg

Same on the other side. not sure what it is called, lets call it a drivers side kick panel.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture588-removed-center-console-lid.jpg

removed screws at the bottom outside of rear center console and three at the front found under cup holders when removed at start.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture589-remember-disconnect-2-plugs-before-removing-rear-center-console-piece.jpg

Removing rear center console is much easier if you disconnect these 2 cables before starting. As you can see i didn't for education and demonstration purposes. lol.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture590-removed-rear-center-console.jpg

All gone, bit fiddley with handbrake cover to get the angle right, but comes away with a little bit of a nudge, not force but not finesse.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture591-removed-all-forward-part-center-console.jpg

Forgot to include remove of front part of center console, but it just comes out somehow, sorry. lol. Undo these to mungle screws that where well hidden to remove last piece of lower center dash. There is a screw on each side aswell, hence why glove box and kick panel are gone.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture592-rear-constant-power-socket.jpg

This is the back of my Constant power socket below cig lighter. I removed rear plug. Lucky for me whoever install the CB stuffed up and tried to connect here, conviently stripping wires for me to solder onto for my install.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture593-power-cables-carnetix-p2140-regulator-soldered-onto-rear-power-scoket-constant-power-supply-unit.jpg

Soldered my two power leads + and - which will power my Carnetix P2140 DC-DC regulator.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture594-p7190018.jpg

I am using the rear center console power socket as an 'igition line' to tell the DC-DC reg when to actually turn on and power up PC. This is the back of center console and power socket connector and plug.

biscuits-albums-carpc-install-picture595-p7190019.jpg

Couldn't get the existing terminal in plug hot enough for solder so i had to strip wire and solder to that. not pretty but effective.

So at the moment my dash is still in pieces awaiting the arrival of DC-DC regulator, screen and Ram-mount for screen. Once this arrives, i will connect power and ignition line to Reg. and run cabling for PC and screen Power from Reg. HDMI cable and USB cables are all waiting to be put in aswell.

Hope the GPS mouse rocks up while it is all apart, would make life so much easier not having to do this all again.

Latest posts

Back