Career Change

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a degree in science & am half way through a PhD - the pay is shit, the hours long & it can get pretty frustrating. But at least I'm doing something I love and I never feel like necking myself at a factory gate!

What's your PhD on?

RailCorp has heaps of jobs for electricians. You might have to start in Sydney but don't forget Newcastle has electric trains, and Broadmedow has a maintenance centre. Some of the options for RailCorp are overhead linesmen, signal electricians, train maintenance, communications, even electrical engineers if you can get into uni. Don't forget the new North West rail link and South west rail lines are about to start getting built so RailCorp will be looking for new staff. Signal electricians get heaps of emergency call outs too followed by the communications guys who need to keep the network running 24/7 and with an aging network and signals failures having the potential to stop the entire network for hours at a time there is plenty of callout work. Keep an eye on their website http://www.railcorp.info/careers/apprenticeships
I work on the railways and have to say it's a pretty good place to work as far as allowances and benifits go. On average in the Railways, look at the base rate for the job and add an extra 20% on top of that for allowances and shift penalties as your gross income. Overtime is extra on top of that and with callouts it can be an extra 15% to 25% on top of that again, plus on call out you can take the work car home :D

If you dont wanna work your arse off everyday and not get a thank you, Telecommunication's isn't for you.

Busy ain't so bad, makes the days go faster.

What's your PhD on?

Fire ecology. More specifically - how birds respond to altered fire regimes (recolonisation ability/ time frames, and a whole bunch of similar stuff related to avian persistence in post-fire habitats).

I wish I could change careers!

I set up a business 10 years ago - moved it to the US 5 years ago and it has been an all consuming money pit - I was a shit load richer before I started the business - we got SMASHED when the GFC hit the US a few years ago. Now I'm in a position where I dislike what I do - get robbed blind by all the bullshit associated with the business i.e. we just got our Professional indemnity insurance policy and it has tripled in 12 months to $36,000 - I work a million hours make bugger all money and can't change or move because I can't sell the business - so my option is to keep going or close the business and put 30 people out of work.
Kind of sux's really

Fire ecology. More specifically - how birds respond to altered fire regimes (recolonisation ability/ time frames, and a whole bunch of similar stuff related to avian persistence in post-fire habitats).

That's pretty cool. Good on you.

Lots of people are in this same boat it appears. After 13 years of working in IT i've had a gutful of it and all the corporate bullsh*t that comes with working in an office.

What chances does a 31 year old with only IT experience have of getting an apprenticeship or some sort of job in the mines? My sister and bf live up in Gladstone and I've done the drive a few times so moving wouldn't concern me to much but are my chances slim?

Here ya go all you guys and girls wanting a peek into the mining/constuction areas....

get onto the site and give him a tingle. Hes set up the site just for the purpose and will give you the directions/help...easy
He's a member from another forum I'm on
so check it out.....ya never know if ya dont have a go!!!!

http://www.miningjobsonline.com.au/

:cheers!:

Lots of people are in this same boat it appears. After 13 years of working in IT i've had a gutful of it and all the corporate bullsh*t that comes with working in an office.

What chances does a 31 year old with only IT experience have of getting an apprenticeship or some sort of job in the mines? My sister and bf live up in Gladstone and I've done the drive a few times so moving wouldn't concern me to much but are my chances slim?

Your chances of getting an apprenticeship are high - You are mature (slacking off is less likely cause you want to be there) - You have a demonstrated ability to learn new and complex concepts - You have a demonstrated ability to work both in teams and as an individual - etc etc.

Don't die wondering!

Hmm, when you finish, if there is an electronic copy, I wouldn't mind a read.

Latest posts

Back