Catch cans

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate

Reaction score
A catch can doesn't change (detrimentally) the function of the engine. The engine does NOT rely on the oil entering the intake manifold from the blow-by and the engine does NOT rely on the intercooler blocking up with oil residue.

Nissan themselves will not reject a warranty claim simply on the basis that you made some change to the vehicle. Exhaust changes can't affect the engine operation unless they increase the restriction - the major restriction in the exhaust is the turbocharger, so your exhaust should never enter the equation. Neither should the catch can.

A dealer might try to avoid it. Let's say you fit a catch can and snap a timing chain. Dealer might claim that you've modified the emission control system which changes the engine dynamics which skewed the stresses in the camshafts and caused the failure. It's bunkum - find another dealer and let everyone (including Nissan) about the BS artist.

I do know why dealers would try a stunt like that - it was explained not that long ago. They earn so many $ per hour doing normal work for "people off the street" who need their car serviced or repaired. For warranty work, Nissan pay them a lower rate - so to keep the maximum $ per hour, they might try to dissuade you from making a warranty claim.

If the fitment of a component or system DOES detrimentally affect the motor (eg NOX) and you try to make a claim for replacement pistons, then sure they have every right to ask you to take your vehicle elsewhere or pay them for the repairs because there's no warranty, but if your mods don't impact on the failure - they can't.

Australian law won't allow it any more, either, from what I've been reading.

Hi Guys

Im thinking i might go and install a catch can im looking at either one of these two...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADD-W1-B..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item20da120e15&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADD-Univ..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e7ea0c10&_uhb=1

My main concern is will Nissan try and avoid covering any engine faults under warranty after they see one of these hooked up?
What about if they see non stock exhaust as well?
Any one had difficulty claiming before?

Cheers

that baffled one looks alright!

or have a look at a provent 100 catch can, they are good!

I got a forefront one a couple of weeks ago, fittings are the same size as the pcv hose on the yd25 d22s, so that's a bonus. For 99 bucks with express post that's not a bad price, has a stainless mesh filter in it too....

I like the provent they look good, the filter looks like a better idea than steel wool, how often do you have to change the filters on the provent ones though?

Don't dismiss steel wool (or stainless steel wool) too quickly.

Whereas filters need to be removed and cleaned, the wool doesn't - it's designed to provide a large amount of metallic (high thermal conductivity) surface area upon which the oil vapour can condense.

I like the Forefront one. Not only is it a good design, but the manufacturer drops in to this forum and gives advice, answers questions and tells us about upcoming projects like the (soon to be released) D40 billet turbo.

I see where your coming from Tony, I guess Im just a little paranoid about doing a DIY job and ending up with a bit of the steel wool going to the turbo.

Not sure yet, only been on the car about a week. I might crack it open on the weekend and see how it looks

I have a forefront one and out the drain I've collected about 2ml and cleaned the filter once holy crap it had some stuff in it but the intake side was nice and clean, been on for 6000k now installed at 250k

2ml for 600k is less than id imagined, what are your thoughts on the stainless mesh filter media in it? is there much surface area of mesh to pass through there, or is it just one cylinder of mesh?
Its hard to tell from the ebay pics, also can you stuff steel wool inside the cylinder as well to try make it more effective?

The stainless mesh is pretty dense I think about 20layers when I cleaned it with wax and grease remover a shit load of crap came out , but the side going to the air intake was clean as when I put it in, it shows the side should connect to the engine and the top to the air intake the drain is on the inside so I swapped it so the drain is below the intake side and the outlet on the side is isolated, works bloody fantastic , the pipes are nice and clean aswell , you could put steel wool in if you wanted but I wouldn't bother personally, I did a small review on it on this forum, forefront are fantastic to deal with

is there any reason you cant mount the catch can on the motor itself??

What do you mean on the motor itself? Actually mount the can to the block? Hose comes out of the manifold into the can, then you hook a second hose to the bottom of the can to the turbo pipe.

I don't quite get why you would want to mount the can on the engine if you don't have to....

If the intention is to plug the output of the can back into the intake, the PCV system becomes ineffective. If it's to install a one-way valve in the base of the can and feed that into the sump (say, via the dipstick) then it's not a bad idea. Makes the can self-managing.

Going with option 2 got it bolted ATM to 2 bolts on the drivers side right next to the dipstick. Was just alittle concerned about the vibration. Will be plumbing in the oil return once I get a spare dipstick to test with

Latest posts

Back