Check Dual Battery setup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarone

Reaction score
Hey guys, been doing that much homework on dual battery setups that my heads spinning. It seems that every person has their own opinion on the best way to go about it and im coming across a lot of conflicting information

Before i go and buy anything I thought id consult the experts :)

Ive drawn up a quick diagram of what Im thinking of doing.
Db_0_jpg.jpg

The system will be supplying a 60L fridge in the back plus various accessories (small fridge inside cab, hand held spotlights etc) and Ill be using a winch on occasion, although not frequently.

Ive been considering getting a Century marine battery for the secondary, which seems to have the advantage of both CCA and capacity as well as being suited to 4wd use. I dont really need a full blown deep cycle as it wont be for used for overly long periods, just weekend camping trips. To be honest im still tossing up between crank/DC/marine.. Any opinions on this? my main battery is a near new century N70ZZ4WD 760cca

Im hoping to fit the aux battery in the passenger side where the precleaner was, snorkel might throw my plans out here though. I know i can fit a smaller size battery in here, im just not sure if that will cope without being completely discharging over a day or two of fridge use

I already have a battery isolator at home somewhere that i got for free, otherwise i mightve considered a dc-dc charger.

Going to keep the winch on the primary, is it worth having an override for when im winching? Would be nice to be able to jump them as well but that would be a bonus

Do you think the 100amp circuit breakers after the batteries are necessary if its all insulated twin core under the bonnet?

From what Ive been reading 6 B&S cable should be ok for the batteries and i was going to run 8mm cable (twin core with 30 amp fuse/CB) from the aux down to some insulated terminal blocks (or similar) under my tray. Then ill connect up an accessories panel inside my toolbox, this will allow me to easily update it in future

i know its a lot of questions but ill reward with pictures :) Any advice would be great

btw its a 98 D22 QD32 Single cab

Thanks guys

Between the two batteries in the engine bay you can exclude CBs because there's no risk of snagging the cables. The diagram looks pretty good!

Battery choice should be made based on your expected consumption rate & duration. If the 60L fridge is using a Danfoss compressor you should expect to use around 3.5-4A when cycling (typical BD35 current drain). Expect the fridge to cycle roughly 50% of the time, so over a 48 hour period you'd have it draw 24*4= 96Ah. That's worst case - if you don't open the fridge as much, that reduces, and it's less in cooler weather. In hot weather, it's a major advantage to keep the canopy's windows open as much as possible.

Thanks Tony

After a bit more consideration I think that im going to put in an optima yellow top, increase the cable size and wire in an override switch. The capacity should be plenty for what i need

..ill likely change my mind again when i price it up however :)

yellow tops are good robust batteries
they are worth every cent imo

... says the man who owned two of them. Sparra isn't talking out of his hat.

Mine moved into the tub, since the new caravan came with a 100Ah AGM I thought I'd keep the Optima for the Navara. It's also riding nicely with the C-Tek XS-7000 charging it while driving now. Problems? Zero.

Well everything has been ordered. Spent a bit more than i had planned but it will be a quality set up

im told there is a worldwide shortage on the optima battery at the moment. Wont be in until next month! At least ill know its fresh stock though

Well I've been pretty busy but i promised pics ;)
image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice little spot for the VSR, little tight getting in there with the drill but got there with some persistence :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

My measurements were saying this was going to be a tight fit, now that its in i reckon i couldve gone a size larger.. anyway, installed a fused terminal on the aux battery. two separate 30amp fuses for accessories and a 150A continuous/800A max fuse main

image.jpg

Ran 8mm twin core down through the chassis rail to toolbox under tray (i would not wish this task upon anybody, not fun especially when its half full of dried mud)

image.jpg

Fuse block in side toolbox under tray, currently only running to cig sockets in upper toolbox but room for upgrades in future

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Override switch for the VSR & Dual voltage meter
why are there no cheap options for this!? (other than wiring in your own switch and having two panels).
The baintech meter is quite good anyway, i thought i would have to wire in a relay but turns out it all switches off when the main voltage is disconnected so its all hooked into key power with little fuss

(Thought i was going to have to drill into the dash for this, then i realised there was a coin department i never used which was able to be unscrewed for some reason)

image.jpg

At night, although its not as blary in person!

image.jpg

Constant aux power to cig sockets & waeco

Probably could have done some of it a bit neater but the nav is getting too old to care about her appearance anyway ;)

Got most of it from Batteries direct, highly recommend

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back