ChipMyDiesel chips.. anyone using them?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarts

Reaction score
A mufflershop and 4wd accessories place near me selling these.. $500
20 - 25 % power increase for my 2014 YD25 . feedback would be appreciated.would it be ok to add around 3 psi or so extra boost? Cheers

There's another thread on here where the supplier joined in the discussion although not a lot was said.

I've just read through their technical reference and while they talk mostly common sense, there are some things that don't quite gel - for example a statement along the lines of "If you reduce the CO2 emissions, you'll increase the NOx emissions". Not really - you don't get a lot of NOx created with lower combustion temps. But that's being picky.

It would seem that their unit concentrates on injector duration and fuel pressure. Their particular trick is to shorten the injector pulse duration while increasing the rail pressure. This has the effect of squeezing the same amount of fuel into the chamber in a shorter amount of time: in reality, this should equate to what feels like more horsepower. The cost ought to be reduced torque and higher combustion temps which increase NOx production and EGTs.

Higher EGTs will drive the turbocharger harder (hotter gas expands more creating a higher velocity of gas through the turbine aperture). However since the D40 turbo is VNT, the ECU will regulate boost by adjusting the vanes and while you'll spool a little quicker, you won't get as big a bonus as you could have. I don't think this chip fiddles with the turbocharger like Unichip does so there's a bit of waste there - they could have done more!

I'm not sure I'd want one in my car. Shorter, faster burns are fine with a high revving motor but in a diesel that produces most of its power (and thus cruises at) relatively low RPM, perhaps less fuel in a longer burn is called for (unless the RPM increases, and I'm sure you could map that). Particularly when towing - having a downward force for longer on the piston is something like a cyclist pushing his foot on a pedal. Having a rapid, short combustion is more like a hammer blow on the cyclist's pedal instead. It'll spin the wheel over alright, but power delivery per engine rotation is reduced this overall torque should be reduced. It makes sense in my mind like that anyway.

My money would still be on the Unichip. Increasing the rail pressure represents a risk I don't want, with the new CRDs already running 1700BAR (1800BAR for the V9X).

A mufflershop and 4wd accessories place near me selling these.. $500
20 - 25 % power increase for my 2014 YD25 . feedback would be appreciated.would it be ok to add around 3 psi or so extra boost? Cheers

which shop mate in Wollongong ?

There's another thread on here where the supplier joined in the discussion although not a lot was said.

I've just read through their technical reference and while they talk mostly common sense, there are some things that don't quite gel - for example a statement along the lines of "If you reduce the CO2 emissions, you'll increase the NOx emissions". Not really - you don't get a lot of NOx created with lower combustion temps. But that's being picky.

It would seem that their unit concentrates on injector duration and fuel pressure. Their particular trick is to shorten the injector pulse duration while increasing the rail pressure. This has the effect of squeezing the same amount of fuel into the chamber in a shorter amount of time: in reality, this should equate to what feels like more horsepower. The cost ought to be reduced torque and higher combustion temps which increase NOx production and EGTs.

Higher EGTs will drive the turbocharger harder (hotter gas expands more creating a higher velocity of gas through the turbine aperture). However since the D40 turbo is VNT, the ECU will regulate boost by adjusting the vanes and while you'll spool a little quicker, you won't get as big a bonus as you could have. I don't think this chip fiddles with the turbocharger like Unichip does so there's a bit of waste there - they could have done more!

I'm not sure I'd want one in my car. Shorter, faster burns are fine with a high revving motor but in a diesel that produces most of its power (and thus cruises at) relatively low RPM, perhaps less fuel in a longer burn is called for (unless the RPM increases, and I'm sure you could map that). Particularly when towing - having a downward force for longer on the piston is something like a cyclist pushing his foot on a pedal. Having a rapid, short combustion is more like a hammer blow on the cyclist's pedal instead. It'll spin the wheel over alright, but power delivery per engine rotation is reduced this overall torque should be reduced. It makes sense in my mind like that anyway.

My money would still be on the Unichip. Increasing the rail pressure represents a risk I don't want, with the new CRDs already running 1700BAR (1800BAR for the V9X).

Just spoke to old mate on the phone and was asking him.. he said to me a fair bit of R&D has gone into them and that it just alters the injector timing for the injector to stay open longer.
with added boost i could see it being a worthy product.. boost keeping egt lower

Im running a dte injector chip.does primaraly the same thing...(injector extender) it does increase the power but i find it a bit to staggered..ie it has 4 rpm points it alters over the full rev range.its not linear enought for my liking.

Fair call camo.b
Was just thinking then.. if i added a boost controller and wound a bit of extra boost through it.. would the map sensor pick it up and add more fuel?

If you add more boost via a manual boost controller it will aid in spooling the turbo by keeping the waste gate shut longer. If you look into my thread on MAF sensors Old Tony explains their mechanics quiet well. I have only experienced fuel being cut at low RPM due to increasing the diameter of the inlet to the turbo where the MAF is mounted. As there is a greater volume of space for the air to occupy the MAF sensor detects a slower velocity of air and thus cuts fuel resulting in a slower spool time from the turbo. So I would say yes, by increasing the spool rate of the turbo the MAF sensor would detect a higher velocity of air and add more fuel

I run a turbosmart MBC, bout $80 from memory and yeah 19 - 20psi is about all you want to run with the stock intercooler

without a chip id say 18 - 19psi. You need more fuel to make power and running it ultra lean will just actually reduce your power output.

without a chip id say 18 - 19psi. You need more fuel to make power and running it ultra lean will just actually reduce your power output.

Yeah Dilmah i realise that diesels need fuel to make power. But im saying for the interim a boost controller and gauge wound up to around 18 - 19 should give me a little bit of boost
Should be buying a chip this month.

Latest posts

Back