choosing a lift kit !

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brikelly

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
what would be the best approach to choosing a lift kit for my 2010 ST-X ?

I've been talking to IRONMAN 4x4, then read navara forum and saw a few negative review about them. But then i spoke to ARB and then recommended their nitro sports lift kit but they charge way more then ironman and then i finally spoke to wa suspensions and they offered a combo deal of kyb as the shocks and lovell as the coils/springs.

I guess my objective is to get better clearance and improve my suspension over the stock standard ones and get bigger wheels.

Any suggestions/ideas would be helpful

Hi Brikelly! ZORDO in Brissy is the man to talk to
I originally looked at Ironman but heard a few bad things to. Have heard some good, but a bit extra, you can get a lot more and from what i can tell, like most things, you get what you pay for.
I'm waiting for my shocks to come from the states but have pieced together dobinsons coils, toughdog leaves with bushes, greasable shackles and bushes with Bilstein 5100 shocks for $1350 delivered to my door and will fit myself

KYB is a good shock. Like Bilstiens they are a mono tube gas shockie, and therefor more effective at heat dissapation, which is basicaly the shock absorbers (Dampeners) job.
Only drawback is, the rears, like any shock are more supseptable to damage. So a dent to the shock tube can stop or jam the travel of the pistion. With Bilstiens there is a stone shield kit available, dunno about the KYB but somthing worth asking about.

Honeslty whoever you talk to, if they only sell a specific brand will tell you its the best, of course ARB will tell you their made in china springs and their shockies will be the ducks nuts...

Talk to Zordo, the best kit will be one suited to your car with an appropriate spring rate determined by him based on what accessories you have, also Bilstein and Koni make some of the best value/performance shocks if you can afford them.

If your not near Brisbane, Fulcrum (who distribute nationwide) make a very good performance kit for about $1800 consisting of Bilstein shocks and EFS springs plus the bushes and u bolts ect.

As said you get what you pay for, I,m on my second ironman kit and no problems, Put full ironman on my old lux, Then when i got my navara i did the same, its been on the nav for about 18 months and 30k without a problem, And thats not city driving either

i'm in perth so do we know someone who is equilivent to zordo here. that fulcrum crew do they have a fitting place here ? i would need to get them to fit it. So having said you get what you pay for. EFS and bilsteina, are these brands the rolls royce of lift kits? surely any lift kit is better then the nissan stock ?

EFS is an australian company that make spring, also Lovells and Dobinson make great springs, Bilstein are a German company as is Koni, they make some excellent quality products.

I read about tough dogs and yes they are alright - by the way its all about the use as well - if you are only looking for better suspension than OEM then ironman will suit you (saves you some $$$) as well - unless you looking at heavy lifting and heavy 4wding then go for more expensive products - hope I make sense

I personally bought a combinations of shocks and leaf - I got RAW Nitro shocks and efs leaf, etc...(bushing and shackles)

3" x flex kit is nothing special, it doesn't even come with leaf springs, the new UCA's are the old style design and will probably hit your shocks and there is no need for extended brake lines with a 3" lift and even with the after market UCA's they still won't give you enough room in between ur bump stops to get the front up a full 3"'s....... CALL Zordo for the best advise and best prices, the guy is an absolute legend

So, for a simple 50mm lift, front and rear, I am looking at Snake extended rear shackles, and Dobinson coils for the front. I haven't yet chosen a brand for shocks, but having read through this topic, I don't think I need really expensive shocks because really, it just needs longer ones for the front, and longer, heavy duty ones for the rear, in combination with Firestone airbags to support a 400L or so fire unit (on farm). Would anyone have any alternative suggestions or recommendations for Shocks or other bits?? :)

You don't actually need longer shocks for the front. You front suspension is, was, and always will be bound to only travel between the bump stops on the upper and lower control arms - by getting a lift kit your aren't gaining any extra travel - only clearance because the front of your car will sit higher due to using a coil that is 'set' higher.

The rear is a different story though, you may need longer shocks depending how high you go, and I would recommend going for a raised leaf pack over the extended shackles, for one, the snake racing extended shackles will stick out like dogs balls, and secondly extended shackles are illegal.

And from all reports, the extended shackles give a pretty uncomfortable ride.

That being said, you wanted an opinion on brands, give ZORDO a call. He's the guru round these parts.

Latest posts

Back