clicking noise on cold engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
Ive noticed that when my 09 d22 2.5 has been started and idling cold there is a fast clicking sound from the engine area, it stop once warmed up. cant tell where it is coming from because of all the other noises make it hard to pin point, anyone have this and know what it is?

Could be diesel knock on startup, all Diesel engines do this to some extent. Given its a clicking sound I'm betting its the slack in the Timing chain until the oil gets there n the tensioner takes up.

Is it anything to worry about? I have the same model with just over 60 thousand on the clock, and its only just started making the noise over the last 4000k or so.

Great built navaras nissan

The common rail 2.5 motor is the rattliest of all D22's, my mates 3L is quiet against my 2.5 and more powerful, another mate has a 2.5 D40 and that's the same. My 2008 jap D22 makes heaps of weird noises when hot, cold, and cold start, i've taken it back to Nissan heaps of times, they have replaced my injectors, timing chain, turbo and it still makes odd noises with only 30.000ks on the clock. Lets face it if you wanted a better built vehicle you should have paid an extra 10 to 15 grand any got a hi-lux, but even the lux has it's own problems like every mass produced vehicle. Hows all the bolts that join the chassis to the body started falling out, guess that's why it made creaking noises when i went around corners with only 5000ks on the clock. Dealing with Nissan is like pulling teeth, now they have your money they don't give a crap, anyway good luck with that.

When I first got my 08 d22 I was listening for every little knock, clunk, buzz and chirp. After getting my timing chain, diff and water pump replaced, i've come to the realisation that these trucks are rattly and a bit noisy. It's just the way they are. Only time will tell how reliable they end up being.

Is there any more feed back on this? Mine sounded worse then normal this morning....

cold mornings will take longer for the oil to reach the tensioner and quieten the chain down, change oil grades ?
how old is your oil and is it a good oil?
is it only noisy on cold startup? , remember these are a noisy engine even for a diesel

cold mornings will take longer for the oil to reach the tensioner and quieten the chain down, change oil grades ?
is it only noisy on cold startup? , remember these are a noisy engine even for a diesel

It was about 18 degrees this morning so not bad cold. Ill have to check the oil grade and post back. It only does it the first time its started that day. Today was louder.

its Titan GT1 PRO FLEX SAE 5W-30 engine oil, due for a service next month, only done about 3000 kms since last service, engine has only done 40,000 kms, is that a good oil?

Fan belts in my 09 D22 were noisy in the cold conditions, this was from about 50k. Took a few trips to Nissan and they just brushed me off, or said leave it with them for a few days so they can listen on cold start up. No chance I will be pushing the tool trailer to work.

its Titan GT1 PRO FLEX SAE 5W-30 engine oil, due for a service next month, only done about 3000 kms since last service, engine has only done 40,000 kms, is that a good oil?

mate if you are worried get it checked out
that grade of oil sounds right, does noise go away when engine is warm
and yes fanbelts are a prime source of misdiagnosed noises,try some drylube on your belts to eliminate belt noise

goodluck

99.9% it will be the fan belts. When the cold weather comes the dew in the mornings make them noisy on start up. The best test you can do to prove it is in the afternoon when you get home and the noise isn't there, get the garden hose on a steady flow and spray the belts. If the morning start up noise appears it's the fan belts. Give it ago. New fan belts will eliminate the problem.
Cheers, Brad.

Thanks guys, you have given me an idea, in the morning ill start it then spray some WD40 on the belts to see if it effects the noise, if the noise goes then ill get new belts, if the noise is not effected then the car will go to Nissan to get checked out, ill report back in the morning ;)

So I started it, the noise was there, sprayed a little WD 40 on the belts and the noise immediately went, the belts on it are original, next service they are gone! ;)

Thanks for your help

Good result mate. You will find if there is no noise and you add water it will make the noise while you are spraying them. I found that's what it was by accident when I was doing a coolant change. I changed my belts and haven't heard the noise since. Just a tip to for when you do change your belts that the centre bolt to the tensioner pulleys needs to be loosened as it acts as the lockup.

Cheers. Brad.

Latest posts

Back