Clunk noise and steering shudder

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiesnav40

Reaction score
This is a on and off situation haven't felt it in over a week. Drove 100kms yesterday, nothing. But today on my way home the steering wheel started slowly shuddering (short jerk movements) and noticed today that when I turnt into my street there was a "chunk chunk chunk" noise I had a fresh warrant of fitness last week and someone look over it and they did not find anything. Any ideas?

Sorry I'm still catching up with the forum, been up at the racetrack but that's it for this year (now it's the silly season, I'm not sure which is worse!).

Power steering fluid level might be low and the pump's sucking air. Be worth checking the oil in there anyway.

Also jack up one wheel at a time and check the bearings just to be sure.

Sorry I'm still catching up with the forum, been up at the racetrack but that's it for this year (now it's the silly season, I'm not sure which is worse!).

Power steering fluid level might be low and the pump's sucking air. Be worth checking the oil in there anyway.

Also jack up one wheel at a time and check the bearings just to be sure.
Thanks for the reply. Figured out what it was(hopefully) heard the clunking again. Turned the steering wheel left to right a few times. Bang cv shaft snapped at the wheel end. Just had it repaired.

That's not a common fault. Have you been off-road, or been in 4WD mode and had that wheel lift off the ground?
I went up the river and was in 4wd to get through a few puddles but was only surfing through nothing hardout. Do you think that would have been a cause of the intermittent shuddering like the once a week thing?

I went up the river and was in 4wd to get through a few puddles but was only surfing through nothing hardout. Do you think that would have been a cause of the intermittent shuddering like the once a week thing?

It's hard to say, really. Broken components can kind of "sit quietly" - particularly the front drive shaft, which is only powered while you're in 4WD mode (although the axles and diff are "driven" by the turning of the wheels as you drive, because there's no freewheel hubs).

Latest posts

Back