Clutch noise when depressed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayglez93

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 97 Series 1 D22 RWD, the other day I drove through a puddle probably a lot deeper than what I should've. But now whenever I push the clutch in it makes like a grinding sound. It's not major but it is an annoyance. Gear shifts are fine. I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on what it may be and potential fixes?

Did you stop in the water or depress the clutch pedal any time while crossing it? I'd say you've probably washed the grease out of the thrust bearing...

Mine makes a similar noise when pressing the clutch in sometimes. It's not an every time thing. I have it pegged as the thrust bearing too, but it's not really worth fixing until I have to replace the clutch. 181000km and still going strong on the original!

My clutch is only about 12m old so I was hoping it wasn't the clutch but going of what's been said if it's something simple like a bearing needing greasing. Any one here able to tell me whether it's a big job or not?

Sounds like the thrust bearing or the input shaft bush
The thrust bearing is a sealed unit so it can't be serviced.

When your clutch got changed, did they replace the input shaft bush.
It is a small brass bush that fits over the end of the input shaft.
If it is worn it will make the grinding noise.
It only cost a couple of bucks to replace but it means the box has to come out.

Either way it is a box out job... Doesn't mean they changed the thrust bearing when they did the clutch though, even if there was a new one supplied.... Depends how much it annoys you as to whether you think it is worth pulling the box again to fix it.....

Latest posts

Back