Clutch Replacement (SMF or DMF)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day mike, are you referring to the clutch? Although I have never inspected mine I'm quite sure it is SMF. Driven a couple of Spanish built D40's. Compared to mine, take up is different, slightly less vibration, no rollover noise at all which mine seem to have.

Do remember that Spain is a very differently built truck too,

As far as I knew, the clutch was DMF in all d40's.
They just seemed to get better lately,
SMF is a lot noisier and built for off road work etc, where DMF is the soccer mum friendly version for a 4wd.

I could be wrong,

Mine is a 2011 st Thai built and my clutch lasted 60,000 no towing very little off road used

i am pretty sure there is no D40 with SMF as standard fitted so you probably are mistaken or drove a bad spanish d40.
SMF a lot noisier? you barely notice it in idle. the only thing you will feel with a SMF is vibration if you drop under 1,000 rpms which is just absorbed with the DMF. also when you depress the clutch too quick when changing gear you will feel that knock much more with a SMF because the DMF will just absorve it.

THe dual mass on th Navara is basically a substandard part - they need taking to court over it.

Mine went around the 80.000 km mark and was replaced with a single plate.....after a lot of pfaffing and pfaarting about.
I've done 100,ooo km on that and have replaced it today....I must say I am totally shocked by the extra clacking------- makes me wonder if it will quieten down after time. I don't remember the last single plate being this noisy........but the vehicle is a lot older now~

THe dual mass on th Navara is basically a substandard part - they need taking to court over it.

Mine went around the 80.000 km mark and was replaced with a single plate.....after a lot of pfaffing and pfaarting about.
I've done 100,ooo km on that and have replaced it today....I must say I am totally shocked by the extra clacking------- makes me wonder if it will quieten down after time. I don't remember the last single plate being this noisy........but the vehicle is a lot older now~

Did you change the spigot bearing at the same time?

Do remember that Spain is a very differently built truck too,

As far as I knew, the clutch was DMF in all d40's.
They just seemed to get better lately,
SMF
i am pretty sure there is no D40 with SMF as standard fitted so you probably are mistaken or drove a bad spanish d40.
SMF a lot noisier? you barely notice it in idle. the only thing you will feel with a SMF is vibration if you drop under 1,000 rpms which is just absorbed with the DMF. also when you depress the clutch too quick when changing gear you will feel that knock much more with a SMF because the DMF will just absorve it.

is a lot noisier and built for off road work etc, where DMF is the soccer mum friendly version for a 4wd.

I could be wrong,

Mine is a 2011 st Thai built and my clutch lasted 60,000 no towing very little off road used

I can confirm in my 2014 Thai build I have a single mass factory, unfortunelty I have been through 3 and about to do the 4th Nissan can't seem to find the problem but last time the wear wasn't even on the pressure plate. The car has only 4000km hope this helps some one.

Latest posts

Back