Clutch shudder??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terra88

Reaction score
Hey guys just want some advice on this clutch shudder that I get, but only sometimes???

Nothing really triggers it (hard drives or towing etc) but only shudders in 1st gear on take off and its quite bad...

However if you ride or slip the clutch bad and try to stall the car when in say 5th gear, the shudders goes away totally..

I assume it has something to do with either oil leaking on the flywheel or hot spots on the flywheel... It has 200,000klms on it and not sure when or if the clutch has benn replaced but it doesn't slip at all and only has this shudder sometimes??

any ideas?

I think a shuddering clutch means its on its way out. Not stuffed but will be soon. Not 100 percent though.

Mines been the same for the last 100k - I would not be surprised if the clutch came and sat in the cab with me at times - but it seems to hang in there.

shuddering can mean the flywheel is not smooth, mine is the same, needs a skim. If your clutch bites early in the pedal stroke and shudders then i wouldn't worry but if theres no pedal it may be down to the rivets and the flywheel or pressure plate may be grooves..

Yeah if it did it all the time I would put it down to a stuffed flywheel or pressure plate etc but just that it only does it now and then and I can fix it by riding the clutch. Makes me think oil leak but I've never seen any oil at the bell housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

yer good point could be a rear main seal, however you should be able to see some oil around the bell housing. I sealed mine with just a film of grease.
oil residue shouldn't make it onto the face easily as the flywheel should act as a centrifuge.... its interesting though, how many km have you done?

mines has a shudder as well i bought mine at 92k and it did it i think from wen i bought it. sorta makes sence tho coz the ppl i bought it off used to tow a house floot with it so u can only emagen wat she would be like on the clutch but mine still dus it at 115ks now. my clutch dont slip but i think its on its way out coz i think ive only got about half pedal now

Does it tend to do it when cold? If it takes up and bites alright might not be on it's last leg but somthing is not right, could be distortion on the face of the flywheel or if doing it when cold could be contamination of the face of the clutch.
My wife has a small european car that use to shudder when cold out of the diveway and at the first Stop sign at the end of the street after that it was ok. The really strange thing is it no longer does it, dunno why but it dont. One thing for sure I wasn't going to have the clutch replaced because of that.

Latest posts

Back