Coil over leaf mod (add-a-coil)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointblank5

Reaction score
Hey guys havent really heard of many doing this on navs, but seems to be a bit more popular in the US where they seem to appreciate a smooth ride...

http://www.gearinstalls.com/dc.htm

check out the link, they are all toyota 4 runners so probably around the same weight as a navara...

I am seriously considering this to bring my ride up to about 3" over stock (using 2" lifted leafs + coils)

should also get a more car-like ride...

post your thoughts...

I know a couple of blokes thay put them in when they do trips to tolighten up the back with a heavy load. they have bt 50 and have found coils to fit over standard bump stops. I think there old holden springs from memory. they use to fill them with tennis balls aswell so if the spring compresses heaps the balls get jammed between the coils and you dont get metal on metal sound. he swears by it but ive never tryed.
Be sure to update this thread if you do it im interested in the results

haha sweet, that tennis ball trick is an awesome bush mechanic substitute for air bags!!
yeah i will update it, i think i will, just got to find the time.
one thing is gonna be finding the right length and spring rate coil... too short and it will limit drop, too long it will limit up travel...
gonna have to experiment a bit to get it right i think, but will use the 4 runners info for somewhere to start from...

I found a locally made (Warwick, Qld) product that is very similar to that original in your post.
http://www.raiz-a-bac.com.au/
When i asked about a price for a set for a 2011 D40... wait for it the price was $520 or there-abouts.
That makes it as much as a v good set of new leaves with 2" lift - but no new nylon bushes, HT bolts or other bits n pieces needed.
They (Raiz-a-bac) claimed that the chassis bending was not an issue with their product correctly installed... it was/is a strictly air bag problem.

For the d22 raizabac kit will only lift the car 2" over standard!! I am waiting on an email from them with the spring size to see if I can source another spring to achieve the 3" mark

Ive been in contact with raize a back, they are currently not selling D22 kits, and only a standard height kit will be available shortly.
Also the 2" raised kit in the future will only lift the car 2", if you already have 2" then it wont really raise it (so they can still call the kit as legal height etc)

yeah spring size is really the main issue here, making mounts wont be too hard.

I was thinking of copying the setup on the white toyota here http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=811919&page=0&fpart=23&vc=1
It just uses two stock rubber bumpstops that are 2.5" diameter and slip the spring over them. Just got to find ones that will match the navaras u-bolt spacing.

if anyone does know of coils in a D22, would be great to know some spring lengths and rates.

thanks mate, the springs will end up being in the range of 100-200 lb/inch spring rate. once there is a load in the back the leafs will be coming more into play. so no problems with bending chassis i dont think.

just gonna need to get hold of a few different springs to experiment with i think

Well you can get different lengths and spring rates from Eibach
I have 12" 2 1/2"dia 525lb springs on the coilovers in the front of my D40 and you can choose what strength you want.
Easy to get in Aus as so many race cars etc have the same springs

I have a similar setup in my D22.. I'm not sure of any details though - I bought it the way it is. The springs are yellow if that helps anyone.. Can post pics if anyone wants to have a look

Here you go Pete.

IMG_12541.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

Fairly sure my leafs are shagged but with the coils the rear end measures 780mm from the bottom of the rim to the guard which is roughly 50mm higher than stock.

What would doing this mod actually achieve? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question, but just trying to work out whether its a worthwile mod to do like what sort of gains you would get from putting a coil spring in there.

What would doing this mod actually achieve? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question, but just trying to work out whether its a worthwile mod to do like what sort of gains you would get from putting a coil spring in there.

I guess if you got the right coil (length and spring rate), it would allow you to run less leaves in the pack, so more flex/travel. But it wouldnt be easy getting the right spring rate, and length for both lift and drop.

Not sure, in the to hard basket for me at the moment..lol

It rides fairly comfy. much better than my mates d22 with lifted leafs in it. Seems to flex well too.

Latest posts

Back