Coolant colour

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJPNAV

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently purchased a 2012 D40 140kw Navara and I am changing all fluids. What colour coolant do they take ? Some say blue, others say red or green ?
Thanks for your assistance.

I'm not sure I like the idea of colours indicating the specifications (I don't doubt it, I'm saying I don't like it). Years ago, you'd have fluoro green coolant because it was a different colour to every other fluid in the car (sump, diff, fuel, gearbox, power steer, hydraulic) so when it landed on the ground, you could tell what it was.

I'm not sure I like the idea of colours indicating the specifications (I don't doubt it, I'm saying I don't like it). Years ago, you'd have fluoro green coolant because it was a different colour to every other fluid in the car (sump, diff, fuel, gearbox, power steer, hydraulic) so when it landed on the ground, you could tell what it was.
Seeing as you aren't supposed to mix the different specs, it makes it easy for us dumb owners; comes with blue ... top up with blue, comes with red ... top up with red, etc.

Colour is usually indicative of spec.
True for a single brand, they will have a variety of colours indicating the specification of the coolant.
If you select a different brand the colours will not necessarily be the same.

In reality, mixing antifreeze, while not recommended, isn't a problem ( excluding dexcool which is whole different problem,)

As a rule most manufacturers follow these colour schemes. So almost impossible to determine which coolant is in the system by its colour.

IAT blue or green.

HOAT orange, pink, turquoise blue or yellow

OAT orange, red, yellow, purple, blue, pink, dark green

Nissan blue is OAT by the way.

The most important thing is never to use HOAT or OAT in a roughly pre 1990 vehicle with brass and solder as part of the system.

Im using the Penrite Red S recommend on the chart, after a water pump replacment and a full flush 12mths ago, works great have no problems at all.

Back