Custom Canvas Canopy - Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roman

Reaction score
G'day,

I have been thinking about how I am going to setup my ute for a 6month tour round Australia.

I am keenon the rooftop tent, but also will be carrying a Kayak on the roof. Also I want to improve aerodynamics, so I have come up with this idea:

I would like to mount the rooftop tent over the tub, but set the top of the tent roughly level with the my roofracks. To achieve this, I will need some sort of custom canopy which is half the height of a normal canopy.

Here are two pictures - one is a custom canopy which i found on the net, and the second pic is photoshopped to show how I want my setup to look.

Does anyone have any Ideas on where I could get a canopy like this made somewhere around Brisbane or the Gold Coast...

Any comments about the setup of ideas for improving it would be appreciated....

Cheers,

Roman

Attachments

• Ute setup 2.JPG
    Ute setup 2.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 757
  • Ute setup 1.JPG
    Ute setup 1.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,876
Just found this pic on the net, this guy has had a similar idea to me....

I still think I want a canvas canopy though...

Getting a custom canvas canopy made would be cheaper then getting something like that made up...

Attachments

• 100_00296.JPG
    100_00296.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,538
There is a hilux in the current 4wd action mag (#156) with a setup like that.

Any custom steel fabrication could bend and weld a frame then take it to a canvas or upholstery place to get the cover done. I want to do exact same thing for when I start touring and doing cape York trip in a year. Let me know how u go and Wat sort of pricing u get.

cheers

You might be suprised at how much custom canvas fabrication costs. Get a comparison of something like what that white ute has anyway as I don't think there will be much difference in price. And an aluminum structure like that could be lockable and seal from dust a lot better. If your handy on the tools and have access to a welder I don't think it would be too difficult to fabricate.

Try this .......lol

Sorry.....:big_smile:

Attachments

• Ute%20setup%202.JPG
    Ute%20setup%202.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Thanks for your help everyone, especially Gonzo - very helpful! :)

I'll keep you updated on my progress in this thread. I think I will get a simple box frame constructed from either steel (powder coated) or aluminium, whichever is cheaper, and have the top as a chequer plate platform, with sail/awning rails along each edge. I can then make my own canvas sides fiaily easily and cheaply. which can be individually roled up to allow the dog (if I ever get her over from the UK) to travel in the back. I will space the elasticated loops the same as my tonneau cover loops. Whad'ya reckon about that?

Another photoshop sketch... Well paintbrush actually - dont have photoshop at work...

Should look a little something like this...

I'm guessing (hoping) around $500 for the frame, and i'll make up the sides myself - Material around $100 maybe...

Attachments

• canopy frame.JPG
    canopy frame.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 520
  • canopy.JPG
    canopy.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,367
You might be suprised at how much custom canvas fabrication costs. Get a comparison of something like what that white ute has anyway as I don't think there will be much difference in price. And an aluminum structure like that could be lockable and seal from dust a lot better. If your handy on the tools and have access to a welder I don't think it would be too difficult to fabricate.
Dust and security is a good point though. a full chequer plate covered structure of the same dimensions would be good, but i'd have to put a sliding window in the side or something. also you wouldn't be able to have such easy acces to the stuff in the tub as you would with the canvas option. Why can't you ever tick all the boxes....?

Why do you need a sliding window? for airflow for the fridge? there are plenty of big gaps in the tailgate so wouldn't worry about that. Would be extremely easy if you welded that frame up to buy a sheet of lightweight chequerplate and sikaflex and pop rivet to the frame. Make some simple lift up doors on each side with struts. Could be done for well under a grand. Take a look at this for some inspiration. Some good ideas here for the hinges and doors. Obviously its a lot bigger than you need but could help out. I'll be making one when I get some space in the shed one of these days.

Australian 4WD Action | Forum - View topic - Nav-pilots Slide On Build D22 Navara

I was thinking it would be good to be able to open the sides for if i ever get my dog from my mum in the UK. she could ride in the back and poke her nose out the side.

I am trying to decide between a custom aluminium canopy frame with chequer plate top and vinyl sides, or keeping my soft tonnau cover and modifying my sports bar to be able to carry a chequer plate platform. See pics for a better explaination of the options. Any Ideas anyone?......

I plan to have drawers in the tub too so a benefit to the custom canopy idea, is that i would have a larger space above to drawers for extra storage.
With the sports bar mod option I could strap surfboards etc. to the underside of the chequer plate platfor in order to utilise the space.

The Modified sports bar idea would probably be the cheaper option and in my opinion would look pretty cool...

Attachments

• canopy frame1.JPG
    canopy frame1.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 184
  • canopy frame2.JPG
    canopy frame2.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 178
  • sports bar mod1.JPG
    sports bar mod1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 190
  • sports bar mod2.JPG
    sports bar mod2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 161
getting closer to my final design. Getting Gold Coast bullbars to fabricate it all for me - if they come back with a decent quote.

Attachments

• sports bar mod3.JPG
    sports bar mod3.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 206
Mad design. Post some pics of completion. I'm looking qt similar design but want to incorporate spare wheel and jerry can holder into it.

Good stuff
Rusty

thanks mate, yeah hoping it will look good ay. Booked it in to get done on thursday actually - got quoted $400, not including the platform. I reckon the platform will be about $150-$200 as theres not much in it. I was thinking of making the platform only as short as the tent, because there is a 300mm gap between the end of the tent abnd the rear windscreen. This space could be used to carry a few jerry cans or a custom made tank. I will probably not have space to cary a spare wheel or a full height jerry can, as the purpose of this design is to be able to have my kayak on the roof. But I could get a low sitting tank for that area. Anyhow, I will still have space behind the tent for storing other bits. You have made me consider having the platform high enough to store spare wheels underneath, secured to the underside of the platform - it would have to be a pretty strong platform mind. Hey, whats happening with your Bighorns?? been looking out for a pic...

Attachments

• spare wheel mod.JPG
    spare wheel mod.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 218
Yeh that looks good.$400 that's neat price wats u getting it made out of?? Powdercoated? I wasnt doing the tent anymore so was going to put spare wheel and jerry can on either side. Like spare wheel then jerry can going from cab to rear of tray. Could u rig up a design for that?

As for the bighorns had no luck getting them yet. Realised I have no room to store them yet cause just moved into new house. So hurry myself to make room Hehe. As soon as I get ill post them up.

Cheer

Rusty

Yeh that looks good.$400 that's neat price wats u getting it made out of?? Powdercoated? I wasnt doing the tent anymore so was going to put spare wheel and jerry can on either side. Like spare wheel then jerry can going from cab to rear of tray. Could u rig up a design for that?

As for the bighorns had no luck getting them yet. Realised I have no room to store them yet cause just moved into new house. So hurry myself to make room Hehe. As soon as I get ill post them up.

Cheer

Rusty

Got it made out of 3" Aluminium tube welded to the factory 2.5" roll tube. I will be getting it powdercoated, but after chistmas presents are bought. maybe early in the new year.

I can do you up a design mate, but I don't really get what you mean. Do a little sketch or something.

I really recommend Gold Coast Bullbars to anyone who needs anything made from Aluminium. The dude who runs the one man band is a good bloke called Tayne - he knows his shit....

Had Cal Offroad Upper control arms fitted yesterday too, now the fromt is up 60mm and rear 65mm - SICK!

Attachments

• 17122010131.jpg
    17122010131.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 17122010133.jpg
    17122010133.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 17122010132.jpg
    17122010132.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 17122010134.jpg
    17122010134.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 371
  • 17122010135.jpg
    17122010135.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 299
Pretty close to my sketch - this is all I provided him with. I may not need the platform, as the tent will probably bolt straight onto the side bars. We will see on Monday....

Attachments

• sports bar mod-as built.JPG
    sports bar mod-as built.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 203
Thanks dave. here it is with the tent...

Attachments

• 21122010139.jpg
    21122010139.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 323
  • 21122010142.jpg
    21122010142.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 23122010150.jpg
    23122010150.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,262

Latest posts

Back