Custom Steel Tray Storage

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
genst,

Am looking for some advice, i am currently in the middle of making my steel tray for the duel cab D22,
i have recessed 2x jerry racks to the front for the tray for diesel and will add a water bottle under the tray up front as well, i am building a recessed tool box/camping storage box into the rear part of the tray which will only open about half the length of the tray, the idea being the check floor will act as a lid for the box, now my problem is i am looking for a hinge for the lid that will sit flush to the floor while its closed so anything that i slide wont catch, also i am looking at recessed lock to secure the lid firmly closed. Am thinking compression locks or T handle locks but they dont sit completly flat.
Any suggestions on what i can use??

Hope this makes sense if not ill throw a pic up next week when im back home.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
Ok well cheers for the feed back fallas ;)
Any ways i made some progress on the tray and decided to go with T handle for my storgae box, tray is fitted but not complete due to limited funding and less then adventageous weather.

Ute before, tub removed and start of the frame up..

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 174
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 200
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 227
Some more frame up pic`s.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 207
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 179
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 163
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 204
More framing, including the most important fitting 24 cans in the tool storage compartment, (co-incidence i promise) ;)

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 189
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 190
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 199
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 179
My dog, coz he is a complete knob.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 106
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 100
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Closer to completion, be back in an hour with the final fitment (am at work so have to duck down stairs, its a productive night as you can see).

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 185
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 179
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 213
Looking the goods mate, can't wait for the final product!!

Makes me want to make one for my truck!!

A few more of the tray fitted and working but not complete, still no head board fitted, no cover plated for the jerry holders (you cant see them as they are located under the storage box in the centre close to the head board), its not painted as it been raining all week hence that finely rustic look it has.
Yes i know it does sit high but that coz im looking at a body lift in the future and wanted to accomodate for that as well as 33" tyres. But its coming along nicly i like the product.
Still to come 2x under tray alloy tool boxes fitted in the rear quarters, this will eliminate the temp mud gards i have fitted as well, a check plate head board, slim line kick boards/gates, cut roatate and flip the tow bar, then add sliders and pait the sliders, tray and bull bar in charcoal Hammer Coat to tie it off nicly. (fingers crossed i can have it all done by Muster date but i doubt that).

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 220
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 265
  • photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 261
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
BTW its a 50/50 RHS frame and a 1800x1450 tray with a 2mm check plate floor, 25 RHS tie down bars, all other frame work was with either 20mm angle or 20mm RHS.

A few more of the tray fitted and working but not complete, still no head board fitted, no cover plated for the jerry holders (you cant see them as they are located under the storage box in the centre close to the head board), its not painted as it been raining all week hence that finely rustic look it has. Yes i know it does sit high but that coz im looking at a body lift in the future and wanted to accomodate for that as well as 33" tyres. But its coming along nicly i like the product. Still to come 2x under tray alloy tool boxes fitted in the rear quarters, this will eliminate the temp mud gards i have fitted as well, a check plate head board, slim line kick boards/gates, cut roatate and flip the tow bar, then add sliders and pait the sliders, tray and bull bar in charcoal Hammer Coat to tie it off nicly. (fingers crossed i can have it all done by Muster date but i doubt that).
Looks f n awesome mate.

I hope you conveniently allowed for some room for ice by coincidence in the 24 can storage compartment!

Looks f n awesome mate.

I hope you conveniently allowed for some room for ice by coincidence in the 24 can storage compartment!

Cheers Rastik, Funnily enough there is room, i may even line it with something to assist keeping them cool, you for those long camping weekends. The kids like soft drink.

Nice work top idea how deep is the storage box ? I got a dx tow Bar doesn't drop down like str sold mine on eBay made 20$ It's got lighter load limit tho

Yeah the bung will probably be a drilled hole and a cork, should do the job though.
derryn, ill have a look and see the measurements but basically i went down just enought to keep it off the chasis incase i wanted to drop the tray level. Its in two parts the rear most part hold the tools/cans and that is separated from the main compartment (closer to the cab) it is designed to hold camping gear, recovery equipment etc, all will be sealed and water proofed.
I may have to look into the DX bar as i donty really tow 3tonns. But my mate has a 3 phase inductrial mig so ill propbably cut flip and rotate the bar and re-weld it up, then buy a drop tongue for it for when i need to tow, or buy a trailer that fits the same height.

Latest posts

Back