D22 12V outlet in ashtrays

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVR

Reaction score
I did this mod a few weeks ago and only thought about posting them just now.

Being a non-smoker and not allowing anyone to smoke in my cars, the D22 having 2 ashtrays really bugged me as they are a waste of space. Well the D22's only got 1 outlet so I had to do something cos were going to Fraser in a few months and we also want to run a small fridge (6A) on the back seat, the GPS (1A)and a DVD player (1A)for the Kid. All up thats only 8A so here's what I did.

I removed the center dash fascia and found that the ashtrays are held in place by 4 screws. I removed them and used some 1mm aluminum plate that I had lying around and fabricated 2 angle brackets carefully shaped to fill in the holes left by the ashtrays and held in place by the ashtrays 4 screws . I went to Supercheap and brought 2 12V panel mount outlets. I then drilled & filed the plates to fit the outlets and painted them satin black then mounted them and the outlets to the Fascia. I dont plan to run anything that pulls too much current so I elected to power the outlets by piggybacking them off the original cig lighter. First I determined which of the pins for the 3 outlets were the Negative pins and I soldered a piece of 20 amp wire across all 3. I then spliced into the cigar lighters 12V supply wire and added 2 more plugs onto it. This way all 3 outlets are powered by the original 12V 15A supply. It means I'll need to be careful how much current I'll pull from all 3 but It also means it's easy to do and I like easy!!
All up this project took about 2 hours.
12V_outlets.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work, its always good to see the mods someone else does.

Might go grab some pics of my dash.

Dave.

Yep, good work DVR, those ash trays are even to small to keep spare change in, total waste of space. Yet again another usefull cheap mod. Cheers, Mick.

You know this was always something i was thinking of doing but ended up putting it in the too hard basket as i was thinking fibreglassing etc. Never thought of just doing a simple blanking plate type setup. Awesome, you have now re-inspired me.

Back