D22 Battery Question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianmonster7

Reaction score
Hey guys just got a quick question, I had my navara serviced the other day and they told me that one of my 2 batteries under the bonnet has failed a load test and needs replacing. Is this possible or is there another issue as far as I understood they are linked together and not independant

A single cell in a battery can fail (ruins the whole battery, but still the failure can be just ONE cell - think of it like a link in a chain). If a single cell can fail, then a single battery can fail.

Sometimes it's the way it's handled, sometimes it's a manufacturing thing, sometimes it's just dumb luck. If yours is less than 12 months old, the battery should be covered by a warranty (separate to the vehicle warranty).

I dunno how I haven't killed mine yet. I have an isolator in mine separating them and have run the aux down to 6v or so a few times after having problems with the isolator not sending voltage through from the main battery... It has just happened again, but I think I fried this one by trying to jumpstart through it....

Yes though, you are correct, they are joined together so if one dies it will take the other one with it... Depending on which one it is I'd get either a dc-dc charger or just a basic isolator and split them up. I say depending on which one because that will help deciding what to replace it with... If you want to keep them linked together you really should replace both if one fails....

Im semi in a similar pickle. Battery not tested yet but i know it has not got long left. I removed the second starter on the passenger side and have been running a single battery in the starter positon for a little while now. They car just doesnt start the same with a lousy 400cca to turn her over. Some days it goes good other times it just sounds wrong.

I am so undecided on what i wanna do. Put a Delkor Calcium 125D31R 780cca in its position and just keep the one battery up front or run 2x Optima D34/78 750cca each batteries and isolate them with a redarc isolator and have a switch to link both batteriea for winching. My buggest fear is the winching part cause i do not wish to kill rhe Delkor or a Single Optima for no reason. I can get either battery at a relatively good discount rate through work

Any tipa would be nice.

Im semi in a similar pickle. Battery not tested yet but i know it has not got long left. I removed the second starter on the passenger side and have been running a single battery in the starter positon for a little while now. They car just doesnt start the same with a lousy 400cca to turn her over. Some days it goes good other times it just sounds wrong.

I am so undecided on what i wanna do. Put a Delkor Calcium 125D31R 780cca in its position and just keep the one battery up front or run 2x Optima D34/78 750cca each batteries and isolate them with a redarc isolator and have a switch to link both batteriea for winching. My buggest fear is the winching part cause i do not wish to kill rhe Delkor or a Single Optima for no reason. I can get either battery at a relatively good discount rate through work

Any tipa would be nice.

This is proof that the battery you have is a good one. Unfortunately it's lifespan is being reduced at a much accelerated rate.

The D22 draws over 500A to turn over. If you're doing that with a 400CCA battery AND the battery is surviving, it's a bloody well-built battery. This is probably why she seems a little sluggish!

If you're using the second battery as an auxiliary (and not as a cranker) then my advice would be to go DC AGM all the way. You'll get a far greater capacity (in terms of amp-hours) if the battery doesn't also have to deliver high amps. The primary could be changed for a Century 760CCA or higher. I've put a 910CCA battery in mine, but Century's site is down so I can't give you a link to that.

If you wanted to be able to crank off the aux battery in an emergency, then you could look at something seriously sexy like the Optima spiral-wound range. My D31A delivers 900CCA and 75Ah of deep cycle operation and it damn near can't be killed.

The rason i removed the battery from the passenger side is because i wanted more room to install catch can etc. Do you think the Delkor would be good? The bloke i spoke to reckons the Delkor is better then the Century as he sells both. Also Delkor or just a rebadged bosch as they even have the same part number when you order them and they turn up in the same truck.

I would love to fit a Optima D27 but the terminal posts are of thd wrong configuration amd they dont do an opposite setup(lame i know) and the D31A physically doesnt fit cause of its length.

I am pretty right with physical capacity of dc agm as i have 120ah in tub and 100ah in a plastic battery box setup

Back