D22 blowing smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12navD22

Reaction score
Took my d22 back to nissan on wed for blowing whitish and black smoke. They called me today n said problem was all fixed no more smoke. Got home n had mates watch me drive off and there it was.. Only now the smoke was worse than before i took it to nissan. Not happy at all with nissan they know there is a problem with these 2.5l engines but they still try sweep you under the rug. And my car has only done 840 kms!

They all do it mate,from new they run lean then the ecu dumps fuel to compensate.Last week there was a thread to say nissan had revised software to fix the problem,not sure of the outcome.

I have not seen one that doesn't blow smoke look for the soot mark on the rear bar.Mine would cloud out an entire intersection on heavy takeoff or under load,i gave up on nissan after many attempts to fix it i got mine tuned and dynoed outside of nissan when i did chip and exhaust.Problem solved i have yet to see one with the 2.5 not blow smoke perhaps keep up the preasure on nissan re the sofware update good luck

catch can won't fix the smoke problem, the EGR block helps a little bit but they do dump excess fuel in on take off, seen a D40 billowing smoke on the highway yesterday, its weird cause then you have a motor in them like the ZD30 which blows no smoke at all on take off (if it does I have never seen it).

can you get any high cetane fuel? if so try it.
i'm picking half the problem is poor fuel.

After I did those mods to mine I can boot the crap out of it of the lights at night and can hardly see any smoke at all. So I would say the mods worked. Before I did them I could hardly see the car behind me. Plus now I didn't get the oil buildup in the intercooler. I have spent the cash on my engine to make it go the distance and go hard and its all been worth it so far.

forgot the other thing, reset the learnt data. there a procedure on here for it somewhere.
a lot of mechanics forget to do it after fuel filter changes and it can cause the black smoke problem.

just got my car back from nissan for the second time in a week and this time they carried out the computer reprogramming sequence that nissan apparently has told them to do. i drove home with a family memeber in another car behind me and still the same black cloud coming out under load. i phoned them straight away and the service manager says he does not know what to do now. nissan have sent every dealer a thing to tell not to replace injectors under any circumstances as this will not help so in my opinion nissan know about it, the injectors are having trouble but they do not want to spend the money to replace the injectors which very well could be the whole issue with my problem

Sorry to hear that it's still no good, injectors arn't cheap either and I don't know if they are rebuildable/serviceable or just throw aways. I saw some one for $360 and thought that was not to bad until I saw that was each. Ouch. Maybe get a second opinion from a diesel mechanic and at least if you can get something to say they are stuffed from a professional you will have the proof if you need to go down the legal path. My opinion is if you are having a problem with an injector then it should be replaced under warranty regardless. It may be a one off problem and have nothing to do with what they think it is.
Good luck with it, hope they work it out.

Back