D22 colour choice. Black in hot climates?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my2cents

Reaction score
Hey guys..
I'm about to buy a d22 STR 2.5TD. The choice in colour is really limited but am leaning towards the BLACK. I live in qld where it gets hot and I'm worried the paint will not stand up to the suns rays and the internal cabin temperature will be a worry. Any of you experienced owners out there have any views on a black colour choice in hotter climates in this range?
Cheers...

Well I've got to say that this will be the second summer we have owned our black Nav, and we have noticed that it is actually cooler inside than our Green Berlina we had before. It was a surprise to us, as we thought black car in summer, no way!. But its quite ok, go for it.

Only problem is keeping it clean, get used to :wash_truck: :wash_truck: :wash_truck:

Welcome to the forums. Heaps of people will tell you not to go for black because it shows the scratches so easy but scratches can be seen all colours so to me that's a bit of a moot point.

As far as internal temperatures go I doubt you will really notice that much difference. Put tinting on the windows and you'll notice more difference from internal heat that you will from the paintwork alone because tinting keeps as much heap in as it does out. I've had a few black cars and can't say I've every noticed a real difference in internal heat, but then others opinions will probably vary.

Welcome to the forum.

Black does shows scratches like Krafty says, and shows the tiniest speck of dirt too. You'd think that white (like mine) would look bad if you farted near it, but it holds up rather well, even with bush pin striping whereas you only have to drive near a bush and the black paint is marred.

If you're not worried about that, go for it. The cabin temperature is reduced rather nicely by the air conditioning.

I do suggest a good 99%UV tint though. It really helps.

The rear of the cabs has vents, so some heat can escape.

When I buy another D22 I am getting another white one.

Dave.

I bought a white D22 last year, I was going from a black impreza and never again will I own a black car due to how easy they are to mark and how many times you have to wash the dam things also the white is $500 cheaper.

I went for black.

Looks ok to me :)

Attachments

• image-470249432.jpg
    image-470249432.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 57
I have owned my black D22 navara for over 12 months now, when clean and polished the car looks awesome. Cabin temps are a tiny bit hotter with black but not too bad, as others have said it does come standard with air conditioning and good window tint helps.

However if you plan to take it out bush be prepared for it to get scratches all over it. Even the wet leaves of light dainty bushes mark the paint work, also be careful washing dirt/dust/mud off after a run out as if care is not taken it can end in a very messy looking paint job.

The only problem with black as the other have said is it marks easy and is a bitch to clean,as far as cabin temp goes it won't make a difference.If you don't care about the above go for it.

Mines black, first black car ive owned.Everyone laughed.I didnt buy it to clean it and i dont care about scratches etc. because its a 4wd.The air con is the coldest ive owned so inside is not an issue.I would probably buy another black one as I believe its the best looking colour hands down however if you care about marks showing up etc or your missus is going to whinge every time you scratch it then you might want to think about it. Just dont let her wash it which is what i do.

You've probably made your choice by now but for those that come later.

Dr Karl Kr...Kr...The smart bloke with the weird name did a small experiment on Sleek Geeks tonight. Two identical cars one black, one white and sitting in the sun, can't remember if he recorded the outside temp but after an hour of sitting in the sun the white car was 4 degrees cooler than the black car. (48 to 52 degrees or there abouts) It wasn't a definitive test but it shows there is some truth in the black cars getting hotter theory.

Back