D22 Engine Noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch_otoole

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 09’ D22 YD25 Navara has been making this noise on and off that can be heard at the start of the video. When idling and revving there is no audible knocking like you would normally hear with rod knock or engine failure, the noise only occurs with a decent amount of load on the engine. I have dropped the oil (not the sump) and there was no metal flakes that I could see. If anyone has any idea of what could be at fault it would be greatly appreciated! (230,000km) I've included a YouTube link if you did not want to download the video.

Attachments

• D40FC493-4FA0-46AA-8516-E1377940CBA1.MOV
    486.7 KB
Last edited:
I dunno about you, but to my rather poor hearing, that sounds like an exhaust leak. Under pressure, perhaps you've got some exhaust squeezing past a gasket. It happened to me, although mine sounded like a clarinet being played by someone farting.

Look around the exhaust manifold (particularly where the turbo bolts on) for sooty streaks coming out of the gaps.

I dunno about you, but to my rather poor hearing, that sounds like an exhaust leak. Under pressure, perhaps you've got some exhaust squeezing past a gasket. It happened to me, although mine sounded like a clarinet being played by someone farting.

Look around the exhaust manifold (particularly where the turbo bolts on) for sooty streaks coming out of the gaps.

Okay thanks Tony, I've had a look and there is a lot of soot covering the right side of the head so maybe there is a leak near the exhaust manifold, I've heard these have been prone to crack too so bets on you were right! I'll have to take the heat shield off and have a proper look tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back