D22 mods for desert trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshp82

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was going to post this in the trips and touring section but it only really applies to D22 Navaras,
I own a Nov 2010 2.5 D22 and have been asked to go along on a Simpson desert/Uluru round trip in June July next year that should take about 2 weeks. My ute is Stock the the only after market items being 170 Lightforce on the front and an ARB rear tube tow step, i will have a winch and winch bar on it soon. Basically what I'm chasing is what are the essential items that i will need to add to my ute to safely get myself and my family out to the rock and back. we will either hire a camper trailer or borrow one off a close mate of mine if he doesn't come too. I don't want to spend $10k on mods for this trip,
My ute below

Thanks Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0383 (2).jpg
    IMG_0383 (2).jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 126
Dont try and take a trailer across the desert would be my first bit of advice. Especially for your first trip across.

Second: fuel and water, you're going to want to carry about 200L of fuel and somewhere around 100L of water (depending on how many people you're taking) if you think your nav can't suck down 20L/100km of fuel, think again. The desert is 540km across and the most unforgiving piece of territory in Aus. So if you dont take it in with you, you won't have it.

Get a suspension lift and some fatter tyres, look at getting a chip fitted and learn how to do everything to your vehicle yourself. Take spares for everything, and learn how to Jerry-rig solutions if you have to.

The biggest thing is, be over-prepared, plan for every contingency, and know how to get yourself out of situations. Make sure the vehicle is in tip-top A1 condition, and know how to keep it there.

And keep in the back of your mind, the cost of recovering a vehicle can be far greater than the cost of the vehicle itself.

All that being said, it an awesome goal to have and one that I'm going to attempt in a few years once I've got the sand driving experience and vehicle setup properly.

Goodluck mate!

^ Great advice.

Apparently there are a great many vehicles abandoned up at Cape York because the recovery fees are so high that the vehicle owner finds it cheaper to just buy another car.

If you were sticking to sealed roads to Uluru like we did I'd say take the trailer and enjoy the trip, but the desert regions are vastly different.

I'd take a good compressor (do NOT pay less than $300 at ARB). Take a tyre repair kit and learn how to use it. Take LOTS of water. Take deflator valves (about $80 a set from ARB) to reduce your tyre pressure to about 18psi each. This will greatly help in soft stuff, just remember to drive gently - no harsh turns, or the beading comes off the rim!

A pair of Maxx tracks and a long-handled shovel would also be advisable.

Remember: if you DO get into trouble and you're alone, stand outside with your mobile phone and dial 112. It should use any means possible to contact the authorities. Taking a GPS that can give you current coordinates will be invaluable too.

Have a sat phone. (these can be hired)
Take at least 2 spare tyres and know how to take a tyre off and on a rim.
Get better bashplates.
Get a good quality UHF with a massive antenna.
Fore-go the comforts of home and sleep in swags.
Allow double the time you estimate to cross. (I personally would allow 10 days, I have my reasons)
A good fuel calculation, load up the Nav as you would for the trip, go for a drive through the city. Now work out your fuel consumption and double it, then add another half on-top. That'll be pretty close to what you'll use.

And I hate to say it, but you'll quite easily spend more than $10k on mods before you even drive out of town.

Believe me when I say, it's the little things which will get you unstuck pretty quickly.

Your stuck in the middle of nowhere with a hole in your rear diff, what do you do? Do you have something repair it? Do you have extra oil?

Radiator is leaking, do you have hose/repair kit? Extra coolant?

Wet weather closes in, tracks become impassible for a day or 2, do you have the food and water to accommodate?

I really don't mean to rain on your parade, but I've been through some trip preparations myself and I've read all the horror stories, and would hate to see your name come up as one.

A set of new shocks and upgraded leaf springs would make it more comfortable, but a stock D22 is more than capable, just carry the obvious spares.

Having done it in the wettest year in 25 years. I agree with everyone else's comments.

My additions are:

• oil, fuel and air filters
  • raditator hoses
  • fan belt(s)
  • front brake pads
  • electrical connector cleaner - NOT WD40
  • WD40
Finally I have to really endorse Joshman's comments on time. We averaged 9.1kms/hr across the Simo. It took 6 hours to travel 3 kms one day. Thus, carry spare EVERYTHING - fuel, water and food.

We just crossed the Simpson recently (10 4wd's & 18 months of planning) and these are my thoughts (if you don't agree please be nice).

First off I was somewhat surprised (and even perhaps a tad disappointed) that the trip was not more challenging - maybe the trip is a lot easier these days as lot's of people are doing it or perhaps I had built this up (in my mind) to be a lot more demanding than it really was - after doing that trip I believe that a half competent driver in a stock 4wd (in good condition) should have absolutely no problems doing the trip. I think that you could comfortably cross the Simpson in a stock D22 - west to east should not be a problem - east to west may be more of a challenge.

My father in laws car was 3 weeks old with nothing at all done to it (Hilux) and it did not look like have a problem or getting stuck

I think you could easily spend around $5000 and have a well setup car for the trip - I would do the following (but honestly think you could get away with only 10 & 11):
1: Long range fuel tank - as large as you can fit.
2: underbody water tank.
3: Raised suspension (ironman or something similar) - 50mm would be fine.
4: stronger shocks.
5: roof racks (but only to store your light stuff - bedding, tent, clothes etc),
6: UHF radio
7: sat phone (they are actually cheap to buy now and you can get reasonable plans)
8: A handheld navigation unit - we had a cheap Garmin and I could not believe that it was tracking our progress through the desert.
10: underbody protection
11: A good set of tyres

+ a good easy to pop-up tent - we had a 30 second tent and it was good - but it is big and we needed the proper basket for it on the roof - the other option we looked at was the black wolf.
+ perhaps a set of max traxs

I would not bother with things like chips: new exhausts etc - anything that is designed to get you more power - if you want power buy a V8 commodore - in a 4wd you can spin the wheels just as easy with 120hp as you can with 150 - and once the wheels are spinning it does not matter how much power you have.

I would avoid the camper trailer - it could become very painful - I’m not even sure what the story is with Camper trailers in the desert - I heard all these stories and I'm not sure whether they are urban myths, true or just bullshit - but I was told that you cannot take a camper trailer through the desert and if you want to you have to pay a bond (in case someone needs to retrieve the trailer) - but we did cross path with some guys that had camper trailers - but these guys were setup - the trailer and the 4wd's all had 10"" lifts on them - they were going east to west and said they were having no problems.

In reality I think you are more of a chance of damaging your vehicle before you get to the desert - some of the roads are a bit rough - some have lots of corrugations which is not a problem unless you get a driver who is not confident on the dirt and they drive too slow - it rattles the car to bits - you need to travel at a good comfortable speed (90 - 100ks).

The deserts the easy bit. But it's a good enjoyable trip.

desertP.jpg

Latest posts

Back