D22 noob with slight turbo issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale90

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thought I'd post and say hi from Melbourne. Bought my first 4x4 last week which is a 2004 navara dx zd30 with 226000k's on the clock.
Pretty happy with the it so far, much better on fuel than my previous xr6 turbo ute was. Only problem I have is within the last few days I've noticed a whistle like noise that's started coming from the turbo when accelerating. I've taken the intake pipes off which had a slight bit of oil on the inside so gave that and the throttle body a good clean. Checked the fins and shaft, there's very minimal shaft play and fins are all good. I found the small hose (possibly vacuum) on the intake pipe that goes from the turbo to throttle body has a chunk missing, could this cause a whistel noise? Also done some research and found the EGR bolt can vibrate out and cause the noise as well. So tomorrow after work I'll rip the heat shield off the turbo and see what I can find. Anyone had a similar issue?

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you might have a boost leak. Replace that vacuum line. Then I would check the silicon hoses on the turbo and manifold. They are known to split. And fit a catch can that will catch the oil in the intake. They do whistle though. My zd30 whistles on idle. I have a 3inch exhaust but

Last edited:
Hey dale james here mate,dont know if u have found the problem yet i had the same issue with my 04 dx zd30 after checking every thing the noise got worse like a hoaning sort of sound, me mate told me to pull the airbox cover off turbo and check the impeller fan inside for movement it was loose as so i just replaced the hole turbo hopefully its not ya turbo but that sounds the same as what i had good luck

Welcome aboard.

1) That hose won't cause a whistle, it operates the wastegate and you need to fix it because the manifold pressure might rise above safe levels (and THAT might cause a whistle as it escapes through hoses/joins/busted EGR etc).

2) A small amount of play in the turbo might be too much. If you don't have an intercooler, a detonation of the turbo's impeller will be swallowed by the engine - and as the piston rises, it'll jam the chunks into the head/valves and become quite costly.

3) Oil in the air intake is NORMAL. It comes from the PCV - if you don't want any at all, fit a GOOD catch can modified with stainless steel wool and chambers to separate the inlet and outlet.

4) Block the EGR. It's only inhibiting the motor anyway.

That hose doesnt operate the wastegate. Its the map sensor vacuum hose

Could be a hole in the silicon pipes - mine did a few years ago and made a whistling noise. It's a cheep fix and you'll need them anyway if you swap turbos

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.
Had her looked over from my mechanic and serviced.
Turned out most of the vacuum lines were brittle and worn out so had them all replaced and fixed the noise. Also had the turbo checked right over and she's all good. I'm looking at doing the EGR block as soon as possible. I've heard mixed responses on this and wondering if it's definitely worth doing? My ute is a daily and I need it for work would blocking the EGR effect the life of the motor?

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for all the replies.
Had her looked over from my mechanic and serviced.
Turned out most of the vacuum lines were brittle and worn out so had them all replaced and fixed the noise. Also had the turbo checked right over and she's all good. I'm looking at doing the EGR block as soon as possible. I've heard mixed responses on this and wondering if it's definitely worth doing? My ute is a daily and I need it for work would blocking the EGR effect the life of the motor?
Yep, it will make it last longer as it isn't having exhaust gas fed back into it...

Back