D22 softer ride

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneG

Reaction score
Hey all,

Is there anyway to soften up the ride on the D22? It's not a pleasant drive as it is currently. The shocks are well over due to be replaced, think it still has the stock ones at 180k. But is there anything else that can be done? I was thinking of taking a couple of the load leafs out, what about the front? Can you get softer torsion bars? I know most of you guys put bigger leafs and torsion bars in for carrying loads, but I want to go the other way. I never carry heavy stuff, it's usually just the dogs in the back.

Or is it a lost cause and I should just get rid of it, let it be someone elses problem :biggrin:

do you have stock springs?

i found that adding a leaf, which gave a 2" lift" also gave a much softer ride.
if you want a soft ride you need more travel otherwise you will simply smack the bump stops and that gets painfull.

Yeah they're stock, but have extended shackles. They're basically flat and riding on the firm leafs which is why I think it's so firm and want to take a couple out. Would need to get them reset back to the right height though. Don't have to worry about hitting the bump stops with the 2" lift.

What brand springs do you have? Wouldn't have thought adding a leaf would soften the ride.

if they are flat they are stuffed. really common problem which is why extended shackles is a waste of time and $$$.

your right in that you will be sitting on the firm load springs. removing a spring will just make things even worse.

my springs are stock but with an added main leaf (spring company did the work for us). this gives it a 2" lift and keeps it off the firm bottom load springs, hence the softer ride.
interestingly other guys had 2 extra leafs added which makes it harder but will handle the really heavy loads better.
you can't just rework the stock springs back into shape as they will simply sag flat again. hence the need for the extra spring.
if you can't get another leaf fitted just get a new spring pack. i think a few brands make a comfort version. you will need to go back to stock sized shackles unless you want the back higher than the front.

Efs do a comfort spring for the rear. as for torsion bars maybe just wind them up and install comfort shocks.

Rusty

I'll look into another spring pack. And I'm leaning towards the Rancho adjustable shocks.
But on the other hand, I don't want to spend heaps on the old girl.

I had my leafs reset and added a leaf. Work a treat so far.

Your front end is probably sagged, meaning you are riding on the bump stop (no up travel left). Mine was like this, adjusted the torsion bars and the ride improved dramatically as you would expect.

Good luck

Pete

Thanks Pete, but I lifted the front when I put the extended shackles in, so it's not that.

I was concentrating on the drive home from work yesterday to try and feel if the front or rear was where the harshness was coming from. I think the front is ok (apart from the bouncing due to the stuffed shocks) so I will focus on the rear.

Don't suppose anyone has done a coil conversion in the rear end?

coil conversion ? big cost for minimal returns. basically a terrano rear end and welded up chassis. then all the legal stuff.

try the new leaf springs first.

If you are still have the factory shocks at 180000kms then they will be doing absolutley nothing, you'll just be riding around on the springs. ( I can talk, still had the stockers at 130000:sad:).

But new front shocks, wound up torsion bars improves the ride AND the steering becomes a lot sharper as well, comfort leaves and shocks in the back, its a lot better to ride in around now. Will never be like my Commodore, but who cares, :cheers!:

Yeah thanks tweak, will get new leaf springs and see how it feels.

...Will never be like my Commodore, but who cares

lol, damn. That's what I was hoping for. I know, I know, they're a work vehicle and not made for comfort. But still, I have to drive long trips at times and would be nice if it was as comfy as a commodore.

i had the 2inch lift with efs and added a leaf spring and the rear was to stiff when i had a empty tray and it made the ride worse... It was bouncy as..

I do now have draw system and arb canopy so im kinda thinking ill put the leaf back in but i agree the d22 isnt as smooth as ride as say the d40...

I have s canopy and yet to install my draw system. I will just be adding a ironman load helper spring and changing shocks to rancho rs9000 adjustables

Yeah thanks tweak, will get new leaf springs and see how it feels.

lol, damn. That's what I was hoping for. I know, I know, they're a work vehicle and not made for comfort. But still, I have to drive long trips at times and would be nice if it was as comfy as a commodore.

if you want this and still want a 4x4 best buy coil spring wagon!!!

bryan

Yeah I seriously considered it, but at the end of the day I can't make do without a ute. I was even looking at ute back patrol conversions but the size of the tray you end up with makes it almost pointless.
I also considered a coil conversion on the Nav, but that would be too much time and money wasted on an almost 10 year old vehicle.

Just an update on this...

Had a play around with the leaf setup on the weekend. Turns out someone has messsed with it before. They had 1 of the helper springs around the wrong way, and sqeezed it against the other helper spring. Making the 2 of them flat and stiff. I ended up leaving out one of the helpers, put the other the right way around, and I now have a decent amount of travel before the helper comes into play.

I also installed Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks all round. The result? A big improvement. Still not as nice as I would like, but I'll leave as is for a while to see how it goes. I'll be doing some travelling at Christmas time on crappy country NSW roads so that'll be a good test.

Hey Wayne, I removed the front sway bar, this made a difference too. Like you I never carry load, I have noticed a big improvement from standard just with new shocks (TJM Gold extended 2") extended shackles and winding the stock front bars up to match.
I have a 2011 STR with Cooper ST Maxx (also helped the ride)

Try ripping the sway bar off mate.

(First post! Hey all :) )

Latest posts

Back