D22 Speedo Inacuracy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok yep, i thought you meant when it shows 100 on speedo the actual speed you were doing was 110. My 2010 build is the exact same, slightly annoying, and is out at all speeds, but i can live with it. It is actually out the most at 70km/h for me, reads closer to 80 then 75.

mitch

Fair enough we can live with the speedo being out, i think the thing is we fork out a fair bit of of cash and it doesnt work correctly, any other time you buy something and it doesnt work you take it back and get it replaced for a working unit, this 10% tolerance for the speedo being out is absolute bullshit, if i can get an instrument at work to be 0.5% out nissan should be able to do the same to something a lot less bloody technical the bastards are just lazy, rant over

Two 2007 D40's that I have driven are very similar - basically doing just over 90km/h when the speedo reads 100...
And yes, both are Factory stock.

Krafty, i realize that the test engines via computer but when they have the engine revving at 100 is it revving to a true 100 or 10kms less? there is roughly 500rpm difference between the two speeds.

It's done on theoretical values, the engines aren't even running when those fuel figures are calculated so everything is ideal world conditions. Ideal to them would be that the simulation knows what revs and engine does for 100kph and it uses those revs to calculate, the fact that when the engine gets put in a vehicle and the speedo is told to read out has no bearing on their figures.

Fair enough we can live with the speedo being out, i think the thing is we fork out a fair bit of of cash and it doesnt work correctly, any other time you buy something and it doesnt work you take it back and get it replaced for a working unit, this 10% tolerance for the speedo being out is absolute bullshit, if i can get an instrument at work to be 0.5% out nissan should be able to do the same to something a lot less bloody technical the bastards are just lazy, rant over

I know the feeling. I'm doing my instro apprenticeship and well nuff' said, i feel the pain.

The difference is that for whatever the reason ADR's offer a tolerance and Nissan like all manufacturers are adhering to that tolerance therefore the speedo is not faulty no matter what the consumer thinks. Should the speedo fall outside those tolerances they are required to fix it just like any manufacturer who supplies goods that are deemed faulty. Until all things in this world a built to a specification and not a tolerance I doubt the rules will ever change.

the speedo's aren't out or faulty, the manufacturers chose the way the speedo's read...

however,

Quote:

1/ As a consumer I CAN REQUEST that the speedometer in my/our vehicles indicate TRUE speed.

2/ . That my speedo reading is in the upper range of the tolerence as noted by the ADR and that the ADR does not mandate the upper range.
Why Nissan's Quality System has allowed this to come about as the ADR is a MINIMUM STANDARD and does not mandate manufacturers build vehicles that display speeds which are in the upper end of the tolerance range.

3/ Keep in mind the Fair Trading Act which has the "fit for purpose" provision .

LINKS...
ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/03 - Instrumentation) 2006 (ADR 18/03)

If you require advice as to the implications, or how to interpret this document, you may wish to contact the administering Department

Australian Design Rules

Quote:

It's done on theoretical values, the engines aren't even running when those fuel figures are calculated so everything is ideal world conditions. Ideal to them would be that the simulation knows what revs and engine does for 100kph and it uses those revs to calculate, the fact that when the engine gets put in a vehicle and the speedo is told to read out has no bearing on their figures.

K mate, Cheers!

i had my first service today, the guy said that it is going to start becoming more and more frequent that the speedo's are out that much. has a lot to do with the government/authority wanting people to slow down he said.

not sure if there is any truth behind what he said.

so i guess people will be slowing down with out realizing

Ok so we know the speedos are inaccurate, is there a fix other than changing tyre sizes ?, although my scangauge show the correct speed, matches with the Gps.
Cheers. :cheers!:

Not sure if it's in this thread or another thread but there is a link to a Jaycar kit that fixes the speedo. Haven't tried it, don't remember much about it but I remember it was spoken about somewhere here. Try doing an advanced search for Jaycar, it will pop up a few times but concentrate on "speedo" threads, it could be in the D40 section.

But you're right SG shows the speed which may or may not be enough.

Factory standard for the Poms too according to the UK site. Guess that throws out any theory that was once spoken about the speedo being out further on D40's because they are imported to this country with 16 inch wheels and not 17's

Back