D22 Speedo Inacuracy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few Nissan service managers have told me this and they dont have access to the programmers as this is done to the software at manufacturing.
Unless someone can set up a program etc thats that.

I've also found that you can get 3 other speedo driven gears that fit but are not listed under D22 parts, i think the patrol runs the same box or speedo transducer.

They are around $60 each and Nissan advises this wont fix the problem but i wonder why they are available.

This is how we used to get the speedo's working when we had different engine/diff/gearbox combo's in our early Holdens and fords back in the 70's and 80's

D22 has a few different gearboxes, i think they all use the same sensor.
theres a few different diff ratios so thats probably what the different cogs are for.

Is it fact then, those who have fitted larger or smaller OD tyre sizes from factory stock to their YD25 powered D22's that their speedo readings have altered with respect to actual road speed
as what i have been told by nissan is not the case although i cannot understand how this woul not happen?

The speedo reading will definately change, the distance travelled (tyre circumference) per revolution of the tyre will change.

Mine 08 reads 10% faster than gps.
Got flashed by camera on the weekend, hopefully that 10% drops the fine bracket 10-20k's over not 20-30 ooops.. thanks nissan! (geez don't say that alot)

my april 04 reads correct. but then i put bigger tyre's on it and it's 3 km's slow.

D22 2009 - Speedo Inacurate

My recently purchased D22 2009, speedo is also inacurate. 8ks under @ 100K's, I guess I won't cop a speeding ticket, but is annoying, when Nissan don't want to know about it.

Hi all,
I have recently purchased a brand new 2011 STR 2.5, and my speedo is out exactly 10%. after having a 2006 3.0 for just over 4 years (with perfect speedo readings) needless to say, VERY unhappy with these new design flaws.. my local dealer, at my first 1000km service last week, said it is within 10%, so nothing wrong..
well in effect, if my maths is correct, 10% out means extra 10%k's. so, correct me if I'm wrong, if my odo reads 1100 Km's my vehicle has really only done 1000 kms.. talking aboput putting on the km's.. that means moreregular servicing as well!
I was not happy with this, so I found a way to fix it.
what you need is a ratio box converter. I installed it on saturday just gone, and now my speedo is true to my in dash GPS unit.
if anyone is interested, I can tell you what you need, Or I can do for you. :)
I think I can only do D22, as D40's VSS is on CAN bus.

bigbro

Hi all,
I have recently purchased a brand new 2011 STR 2.5, and my speedo is out exactly 10%. after having a 2006 3.0 for just over 4 years (with perfect speedo readings) needless to say, VERY unhappy with these new design flaws.. my local dealer, at my first 1000km service last week, said it is within 10%, so nothing wrong..
well in effect, if my maths is correct, 10% out means extra 10%k's. so, correct me if I'm wrong, if my odo reads 1100 Km's my vehicle has really only done 1000 kms.. talking aboput putting on the km's.. that means moreregular servicing as well!
I was not happy with this, so I found a way to fix it.
what you need is a ratio box converter. I installed it on saturday just gone, and now my speedo is true to my in dash GPS unit.
if anyone is interested, I can tell you what you need, Or I can do for you. :)
I think I can only do D22, as D40's VSS is on CAN bus.

bigbro

This has been discussed before and it is understood that while the speedo reads high, the actual odometer is accurate. I think your speedo box alteration will cause the odometer reading to read low.

Regards

Greg

mine is out by saying your going 5kph faster than u really are, but it does have different size tires than standard so im guessing thats why

A few Nissan service managers have told me this and they dont have access to the programmers as this is done to the software at manufacturing.
Unless someone can set up a program etc thats that.

I've also found that you can get 3 other speedo driven gears that fit but are not listed under D22 parts, i think the patrol runs the same box or speedo transducer.

They are around $60 each and Nissan advises this wont fix the problem but i wonder why they are available.

Hi, im just wondering if anyone has trried getting the program changed or speedo gears changed?

Mine reads 110km/h when doing 100km/h actual, but i'm not going to kick up a stink until such time as i change the tyres, or else i risk adversely affecting the correction already done.

Mitch

I'm in the same boat as big bro i got my 11 - str a few weeks back its out by 9 km's, so it reads 101 when I'm doing 110.

my question is though when Nissan work out there highway km's would they be at what the speedo says or the actual road speed is? seems like crap if they work it out to the speedo.

because u know I'm 9kms out ill go 9kms faster which will bring the revs up and that will make you use more fuel, price i have to pay i understand that but would become false advertising or something?

other than that loving my nav :D

Cheers,

Karl.

my question is though when Nissan work out there highway km's would they be at what the speedo says or the actual road speed is? seems like crap if they work it out to the speedo.

If you're talking about the figures Nissan claim on economy for highway traveling then it has nothing to do with actually being on the highway, it's done on a computer in a Lab.

If there was any real world testing done by Nissan where figures were important they'd be doing the best possibly thing for their figures and that would be to read figures from the ECU.

I'm in the same boat as big bro i got my 11 - str a few weeks back its out by 9 km's, so it reads 101 when I'm doing 110.

because u know I'm 9kms out ill go 9kms faster which will bring the revs up and that will make you use more fuel, price i have to pay i understand that but would become false advertising or something?

other than that loving my nav :D

Cheers,

Karl.

Mate, that they should HAVE to fix. From my understanding it may read under I.E read 110km/h when only doing 100, but cannot read 100 when doing 110.

Mitch

Mitch, think you misunderstood mate, it is under speedo says 110 gps says 101.

Krafty, i realize that the test engines via computer but when they have the engine revving at 100 is it revving to a true 100 or 10kms less? there is roughly 500rpm difference between the two speeds.

Cheers,

Karl.

Back