d22 sub help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad possum

Reaction score
Is it possible to wire a sub into the standard head unit of the 2011 D22? I've searched the forums and there's plenty of advice about after market head units ect, I've got that all sorted, however when I took my head unit out there doesnt seem to be any ports on it for the sub. I dont really want to change the head unit, it has bluetooth and usb ect. what are my options?

hi mate, it is possible, what you need is a line out connector, basicly converts the normal speaker lines on the back of the head unit to rca's, which you then plug into your amp and then sub/speakers..... jb or any good car audio store will have them, just ask for a line out connector! hope this helps

even if you can get it to work, if your going to the effort of doing that. Get a new good quality head unit, will improve sound quality!

suggestions for a good head unit that isnt too expensive? I jus wired in the back speakers, 2011 D22's have all the wiring there already, jus cut the hole for the speakers and popped them in. thanks so much for the feed back guys, i'll see if if Jaycar is open today :)

stick to brands like Kenwood, Alpine and Pioneer in my opinion for headunits. You can get a good basic model off the shelf for about $200-300

cool, i guess that will be the next addition. the arial is negative correct?

I cant find where to wire in the remote turn on lead from the sub in the standard head unit. anyone else know where it is? or is there an alternative way of wiring it?

the standard head unit won't have one, you could connect it to any number of switchable power in the car though, your cig lighter, or acc for the radio (you'll have constant power, switchable power, and ground) which are the easiest to use, just piggy back off of it, as already mentioned, a better headunit will do wonders though, i personally use a jvc headunit, had everything i need including high pass filter and ipod connectivity, if you do end up going for an aftermarket unit, make sure it has a high pass filter, i learnt the hard way with my first one, and that was a pioneer!

sweet, thanks slidedriver, I worked that out after a bit of reading up, am very happy to have the sub connected and it makes such a difference to the music. I'll leave the head unit for now, need to upgrade suspension and tyres first now. I did wire it into the cig lighter, easiest to find.

What type of sub are you using and where is it placed? I want to put one in mine behind the back seat, just stuck on what will fit.

You are much better off just getting a new head unit. You can get one of the main brands for around $100 if you shop around a little bit.

Just make sure it has a designated sub control function.

This enables you to adjust the sub volume independantly of the speakers as well as usually a couple of low-pass filter options. Whatever amp you end up using will have gain control and low-pass filter options as well, but you will get better results when you can play with this at the head unit as well.
I used a $100 sony h-unit in my d22 single-cab when the std unit developed a taste for eating discs, small sony amp, good quality discontinued-stock clarion 6.5" coaxials and a cheap 10" sub i had lying around from the '90s in a custom box i made behind passenger seat, running off a small sony amp, best thing i ever did, sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
Another option if you want to keep standard head unit and alot less work is a powered sub, such as a pioneer TS-WX11A. About $300 online.
I put one in my rx7 cos didnt want a sub box or amps taking up space and was easily hidden to keep the car looking stock.
Its about 200x130x80mm so can go under or behind a seat, comes with all wiring and fuses, including the rca that you can connect to the speaker wires, and remote control for gain, frequency and phase.
It makes enough bass to be able to enjoy music in the mazda which is sayin something cos the rotor is loud and bassy and tends to null any bass from a sound system.
There are bigger ones but this was all i could fit in the spot i had in mind.

Whoops, i should probly read more than the first two posts before i chuck my two cents in. Congrats with the install..

Hey Dom, I fitted this baby from jaycar http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2286&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1027#4
price is good, straight forward wiring, has optional for high or low imput, and sits behind the back of the rear seats. i didnt want to drill holes in the back of the ute as it would b almost impossible to get screws thru cause of the canopy I have on so have used the adhesive velcro that was supplied which works supprisingly well. all up it only cost $150 (including wiring ect) so I was very happy with that.

thanks for the write up rabbit :)

Latest posts

Back