D22 Transfer Case Chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrad

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have stretched my transfer case chain in my 2004 D22 (ZD30). My question is, should I replace the chain and any gears that may be damaged inside the transfer case?

Or should I simply buy one from the wreckers with low k's and take a chance?

If anyone has contacts for prices of chains and/or gears, would be much appreciated.

Weighing up my options at the moment, trying to work out how much this misadventure is going to cost!

Thanks for any help

Dave, I have already done a search. None of the topics so far have indicated price on new chains nor have they suggested which path should be taken should a chain stretch.

I am after some personal experiences here, as well as any useful suggestions anyone may have about fixing.

Joshman, I am not entirely sure. I bought the car at 100,000k in VGC with no apparent signs of heavy off road use etc. I'm thinking it may have been driven on some hard surfaces while being in 4h with the hubs locked

D21 chains being wider is not proven in Australian delivered D21s. Also, a D21 case won't bolt to the D22 transmission.

Chain being stretched is usually either the idiots who tow their caravan around town in 4x4, or work trucks that get left in 4x4 on mixed surfaces in mines etc and drive around like that their whole lives.

The solution isn't cheap. Unfortunately there's no easy way around it. You can get a price from Nissan but I can guarantee you won't like it unless you're a total sucker. The only alternative is to gamble on cases from wreckers or eBay until you find a good one. Could take a few goes.

Thanks Dion. Got the call back from a nissan parts dealer and the news wasn't great. $800 just for the chain. Not sure if i will need new gears as a result of the chain slipping so there could be another cost.

I ended up sourcing a transfer case that has done 60k for $495 with a 6 month warranty. Hopefully its all fine when its bolted up.

I'm sure it will be fine. The warranty is a good thing.

For those seeking a wider chain, one option I just thought of is the V6 WD21 Pathfinder, that was Australian delivered but pretty rare.

Thanks Dion. Got the call back from a nissan parts dealer and the news wasn't great. $800 just for the chain. Not sure if i will need new gears as a result of the chain slipping so there could be another cost.

I ended up sourcing a transfer case that has done 60k for $495 with a 6 month warranty. Hopefully its all fine when its bolted up.

try Garry @ nizzbits for pricing..

Yeah he came back with $800 for the chain and another $700 for any damaged gears that are driven by the chain.

Sorry mate. Didn't mean to come across as rude.

Try CBC for the chain.

They can get just about everything.

How can you tell thr chain is stretched? Simply not selecting 4wd..? Or?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

haha what dion said. theres a couple vids in my build of it. I do not miss that noise.

I was quoted $800 from Nizzbits - just for the chain. Not sure how strong the sprokets are inside the case, but I would have thought there would be some damage to them too, as mine was slipping the whole way back up the beach in soft sand.

Ended up buying a transfer case with 60,000k's on it for $495. Put it all in, went 4wd'ing couple of weeks ago for the day and its all fine.

Personally, I wouldn't bother fixing the case. I figured I could buy 2 second hand ones for the price of the fixed one...

Latest posts

Back