D22 Zd30 engine rattling noise during acceleration

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benanza9

Reaction score
Hi. My 2005 zd30 d22 engine makes a rattling sound when I accelerate or rev it up. The rattling sound isn't there when it's idling. What should I do to resolve this?

Hi. My 2005 zd30 d22 engine makes a rattling sound when I accelerate or rev it up. The rattling sound isn't there when it's idling. What should I do to resolve this?
To resolve it would normally require finding what is rattling and fixing it? lol. (sorry 'bout that, couldn't resist).

Have you tried getting someone to rev it, while looking under the bonnet to pinpoint the source of the noise?

Sounds a bit like injector rattle-too much fuel or timing too advanced. Worn cylinders/pistons but that is rare these days. Has the rattle started recently, is it worse in the couple minutes after starting ? Get a long screwdriver/small diameter pipe and use as a stethoscope and see if u can get a location.
My 2005 zd30 will rattle a bit when cold. That’s piston slap and goes away in less than a minute.

What sort of rattle? Tinny or more like knocking? Timing chain rattle is distinctive and easy to hear and pinpoint.

Is the rattle when cold or even after your engine is up to running temp ?
My old girl rattles when first started but when she warms up it is gone.

Not firm but I had a similar prob, not much if any noise at idle. Lots of noise while driving. Changed drive belt, tensioner pulley assy, checked water pump, alternator etc. Put it into a mechanic, he said exhaust manifold gasket. I pulled the manifold, exhaust gasket shot. all fixed!!!

Latest posts

Back