D22 ZD30 wont start - [SOLVED]

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey

Hoping to get some pointers here, my 2002 ZD30 navara has decided to stop starting, was very cold so I assumed glow plugs so changed them over.

Still wont go, doesnt appear to be getting any fuel to the engine, lift pump will pump hard, fuel in the tank.

The bit that has me confused is the fact that I get no engine codes at all, have recently changed all the filters etc but was running fine for a week or more before this problem

Help???

Unusual to not have any codes and it makes it hard to take a guess. Does the glow plug light go out? If the ecu doesn't see 12v as a minimum I think it cuts the fuel, can't think of anything else at the moment.

Unusual to not have any codes and it makes it hard to take a guess. Does the glow plug light go out? If the ecu doesn't see 12v as a minimum I think it cuts the fuel, can't think of anything else at the moment.

Yes the glow plug light goes out, 12v going to the glow plug bar, have tried it with a set of jumper cables from my other car onto the battery and still no fuel!

Welcome to the forum.

Normally I'd recommend giving the primer a good workout to see how many times you can squeeze it before it becomes quite firm, but I'm not sure the ZD30 has one. I can't see a pump in the tank so I assume your lift pump isn't OEM. It will help though!

First, crank the engine for 20 seconds. Do you smell diesel in the exhaust? If you do, it is likely to be a timing issue. Diesel will ignite even when cold - you don't NEED the glows, they just help. But the injectors have to open at the right time - there should be a sensor attached to the main crankshaft or camshaft. This may be faulty, may have debris in it, may be disconnected electrically (oxidisation or debris in the connector - has your engine bay been pressure washed? Big no-no there!).

Disconnect the outlet of the fuel filter and put a temporary hose into a clean container (one that you'd be happy to pour back into your fuel tank). Get someone to crank the motor over - fuel SHOULD come out. If it doesn't, your lift pump isn't playing the game, but if you can hear it working, there's a chance that there's a blockage around the lift pump or in the tank pickup.

The only other thing it could be is air flow. Diesels are pretty simple - put a little bit of fuel in with a full gulp of air and when the piston hits the top, BOOM (hence their actual correct title of "compression ignition" engines). It is a great idea to open the entire air path and inspect it - it is probably filled with black oil anyway (blow-by - a catch can will fix that).

Have you looked at your shut-off valve? Try disconnecting the hose to the green (middle) solenoid and see if she'll fire up, or make a note of the position of the shut-off valve. If it's closed, you'll get zip all out of it. If it's open and then closes, it'll fire for a second and turn off. Worth 5min to look at, this happened to me...

Have you looked at your shut-off valve? Try disconnecting the hose to the green (middle) solenoid and see if she'll fire up, or make a note of the position of the shut-off valve. If it's closed, you'll get zip all out of it. If it's open and then closes, it'll fire for a second and turn off. Worth 5min to look at, this happened to me...

that would be unusual as both solenoids would have to be leaking to apply vac. (for factory setup. only one if butterfly mod.)
tho easy to test just unplug both vac hoses to the intake shut off valve.
valve is open by default.

Welcome to the forum.

Normally I'd recommend giving the primer a good workout to see how many times you can squeeze it before it becomes quite firm, but I'm not sure the ZD30 has one. I can't see a pump in the tank so I assume your lift pump isn't OEM. It will help though!

First, crank the engine for 20 seconds. Do you smell diesel in the exhaust? If you do, it is likely to be a timing issue. Diesel will ignite even when cold - you don't NEED the glows, they just help. But the injectors have to open at the right time - there should be a sensor attached to the main crankshaft or camshaft. This may be faulty, may have debris in it, may be disconnected electrically (oxidisation or debris in the connector - has your engine bay been pressure washed? Big no-no there!).

Disconnect the outlet of the fuel filter and put a temporary hose into a clean container (one that you'd be happy to pour back into your fuel tank). Get someone to crank the motor over - fuel SHOULD come out. If it doesn't, your lift pump isn't playing the game, but if you can hear it working, there's a chance that there's a blockage around the lift pump or in the tank pickup.

The only other thing it could be is air flow. Diesels are pretty simple - put a little bit of fuel in with a full gulp of air and when the piston hits the top, BOOM (hence their actual correct title of "compression ignition" engines). It is a great idea to open the entire air path and inspect it - it is probably filled with black oil anyway (blow-by - a catch can will fix that).

I can get maybe 2 full pushes of the primer before its too hard to push in, in relation to the smell of diesel, I cracked one of the injector pipes and there doesnt appear to be any fuel making it to the engine.

I will try and check the lift pump at the weekend, as not really checked that, not sure where it is located on a D22 though.

Gives me some things to work with at the weekend, thanks

I will check this too, away with work the rest of the week, thankyou

that would be unusual as both solenoids would have to be leaking to apply vac. (for factory setup. only one if butterfly mod.)
tho easy to test just unplug both vac hoses to the intake shut off valve.
valve is open by default.

Thanks

Wonder if it's spun the gear on the pump and pump isn't turning? it would throw a code for that thou. I'm pretty sure they have a fuel cut off solenoid but don't know where it is.

Attachments

• dtc 1004.JPG
    dtc 1004.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
I can get maybe 2 full pushes of the primer before its too hard to push in, in relation to the smell of diesel, I cracked one of the injector pipes and there doesnt appear to be any fuel making it to the engine.

I will try and check the lift pump at the weekend, as not really checked that, not sure where it is located on a D22 though.

Gives me some things to work with at the weekend, thanks

I assumed - because you mentioned lift pump - that you had one fitted. The diesels generally don't - they draw the fuel up from the tank with the engine-mounted pump. That leaves the entire fuel line from the tank up through the filter down to the pump on the suction side - no pressure - so no chance of major fuel spills.

If your primer is getting firm that quickly, then either fuel is in there, or there's gunk in there blocking it. Clamp the hose coming from the tank, then remove the hose with the primer. See if the primer works freely. Refit the hose from the tank, leave the end of the primer open and pump some fuel into a clean container. You'll at least know if fuel is getting that far.

It could be a failed pump. It's happened before. Not very often mind you, these things are fairly robust. It's usually water that causes the damage - water will pass through the filter. Sometimes debris does too (no idea why it does, it shouldn't - that's what a filter is supposed to prevent) so it's possible that there's muck in the pump.

Sounds like there might be some disassembly of the pump required if everything else checks out ok.

Wonder if it's spun the gear on the pump and pump isn't turning? it would throw a code for that thou. I'm pretty sure they have a fuel cut off solenoid but don't know where it is.
that would be very rare and should throw a timing code.

no fuel cut off solenoid as such. they have an injection solenoid but if that fails it should have error code.

it can be fuel pump ecu, they are well know to fail. they don't always display fault codes.

the other thing is something tripping one of the sensors.
i think blown brake light fuse can cause no start as ecu has a brake input.
also people have had issues with starter and relays arcing which screws up the signal to the crank sensor.

Had another look today and I am now getting an ECU code, 73 or 0703 which looking around seems to indicate the pump or pump ecu

Any advice? I am assuming I need to just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

DTC 0703 P3×PUMP COMM LINE

either cable problem or pumps ecu has died. time for a reco.

Just had the same issue mate its the patch lead off the back for the pump they break over time from heat its not cheap but still better than 3-4k for a pump

Just had the same issue mate its the patch lead off the back for the pump they break over time from heat its not cheap but still better than 3-4k for a pump

I'm having the same issue in my 02 d22. Sorry for being naive but is the patch lead the plug that comes put of the IP and plugs onto the main wiring loom in the engine bay. light blue plug? What's involved in fixing that ? Mechanic or home job ?

Cheers

So finally fixed this, replaced the pump in the end after buying a spare complete engine.

Seems to be running fine now

Yeah I'm looking at buying a spare engine also. So once you swapped the injector pump over it worked fine ?

Latest posts

Back