D40 2007 Timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vool104

Reaction score
Guys! im new to this site so still getting my head around it all. ive got a question that im sure all of you YD25 D40 owners have pondered!!!! my D40 navara 2007 with the YD25 fitted now has 160,000 kms on it and i have never touched it!!! literally have only just put a clutch in it 3months ago. the thing runs like a clock no foreign noises or rattles, just typical diesel rattles. ive been told that i should consider doing a double row chain conversion kit to it?????? are they really that bad????? there are thousand on the road surely there not all needing them?? the point is why spend 2.5K on an engine that isnt broke??? yes i understand that if you run the gauntlet an dodge it, it may cost you more. but ****!! they cant be that bad if it was gonna fail wouldnt it already have??? i change oil and filter every 5000 religously an i flog the piss out of the car and drive it the way it should! ps i use penrite oil. guys help with some knowladge!!!!!!

Welcome to the forums.

The timing chains have got a few threads dedicated to them and there is no definitive answer as to whether you SHOULD replace what's there. There is several different theories, I'm not willing to run screaming to either Nissan or an after market supplier with mine just yet because I'm yet to be convinced it's a huge issue. Will I ever be proven wrong? Who knows. If at 160K I am not hearing or seeing any signs I doubt I would be rushing out and replacing it because of a few posts on an internet forum....damn if I believed internet forums I'd have never brought a Navara in the first place.

Check out the following thread as a start point,

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=16132&page=15&highlight=timing+chain

There is also other threads, search for "timing chain". Read the reports yourself and take from it what you will, but bare in mind it is the internet, bad news travels faster than good, not all stories can be verified and as you suggest there is heaps of these engines on the road that as yet haven't suffered.

I'm sure that made your decision easier :big_smile:

mate that is an awsome responce!! out of 10000 navaras made you will only here about the 10 shit ones made.

If someone could produce the figures of numbers sold vs numbers effected it would give people something to go by, but those figures are non existent. Even the numbers of people on this forum vs the number of those effected would be very small. The worst thing is that some people read reports and start hearing problems.

the only people that seem to know about the timing chain issue are people who get on here!!!!!

or have experianced it them selves. if you tell your self for long enough your coming down with the flu, youll be showing more an more symptoms.

If your really concerned you can pull the cover off and inspect the chain and tensioners, if all looks good then pop the cover back on and keep on truckin.

Mate I was worried too but as its been said. If everything's clockwork don't fix what's not broke. I considered changing mine but the signs are not there. It's more something to be aware of then be scared of.

If you start noticing something that doesn't seem right get it checked out otherwise don't worry and enjoy driving your truck!

If someone could produce the figures of numbers sold vs numbers effected it would give people something to go by, but those figures are non existent. Even the numbers of people on this forum vs the number of those effected would be very small. The worst thing is that some people read reports and start hearing problems.

Hmmmm....deja vu....

No..this isnt..........the 2T thread......phew!

a bit of an update on my paranoid state lol... ive had a sample of the engine oil sent away and the results came back good :) i asked them to look for high levels of aluminium, plastics, nylon, hardfacing and any other abnormalities in the oil. it came back good :) not perfect but nothing alarming. for an engine that has 168,000 on the clock its normal results. i service it oil and filter every 5000kms, and use penrite oil if thats any help to paranoid owners lol.

Mate I was worried too but as its been said. If everything's clockwork don't fix what's not broke. I considered changing mine but the signs are not there. It's more something to be aware of then be scared of.

If you start noticing something that doesn't seem right get it checked out otherwise don't worry and enjoy driving your truck!

love your attitude !!!!! :)

Latest posts

Back