D40 2011 Whine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpean

Reaction score
Hi new to this but I have a navara D40 and it has a whine which sounds like it is coming from the diff, I have gone to a mechanic and he has told me it is the gear box on its way out don't have a problem with changing gears any ideas out there. Thanks

Check the diff plug for any large matter, a few filings are normal. Even though the box changes nicely that does not rule out an issue. If you are competent enough pull the diff cover off and check for obvious damage to the gears and excess play ect.

Is the noise present through all the gears? Or , only in particular gears? Does it come and go with acceleration/ deceleration? Does the noise alter cornering? Does it come and go at certain speeds?

All this information will help with the diagnosis.

Gearbox output shaft bearing could be shot. That would do it in any gear and would get higher in pitch as speed increased.

Transfer case bearings would also make noise. Sometimes accompanied by the seals weeping - look for oil thrown from the output shafts.

Loose uni joints will do it too, same symptoms: whine increases with vehicle speed, independent of gears. However, these are a piece of cake to check. Get under the car and grab the drive shaft near the uni. Give it a bloody good shake - it shouldn't move. Mine don't budge. If you've got free play, that could be the source of the whining.

Otherwise, it could be differential. Not unheard of for water to get in the breathers and ruin things like the LSD.

Wheel bearings can make noise but usually make more noise when they're loaded up and less when they're unloaded. Test them by taking a corner at about 10km/h more than you should (say 55km/h in a 45km/h bend). I am assuming your tyres are up to the task! If the noise increases around a left hand bend, inspect the right hand bearings and vice versa.

I doubt this one: drum brakes are usually ok but they could make noise if there's an accumulation of junk in there (some of the guys have had to hose the mud out). While you're driving and hearing the noise (as low a speed as possible please) gently begin to apply the handbrake, don't just reef the thing on. You only want a light pressure. If the sound changes, consider popping the drums and inspecting pads.

Latest posts

Back