D40 4X4 issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane93

Reaction score
Hi i've got a 2006 Navara d40 STX and when i switch from 2H to 4H the indicator just flashes the front wheels and doesnt engage. Then when i select 4L i can hear the transfer case engage 4L but the picture disappears and the "4WD" light comes on.
when this light is on i can switch between 4L and 4H with no problems (can hear it change between the two when i turn the switch and all works fine off road) but the 4WD light is constantly on.

I have removed the 3 switches from the transfer case and visually inspected them how do i test them properly? Does it sound like it could just be the switches?

thanks Shane

Welcome to the forum, Shane.

It's not easy to say - it sounds like the low range servo is having a go at shifting (which means your procedure must be right - note 1 below). There is a wait sensor/switch inside which might be faulty as well - it checks that the engagement has happened. If it doesn't detect the motion it should display the warning light as yours has.

How much of the case have you disassembled?

Note 1: For those that don't know, your car must be STOPPED with the gearbox (auto or manual, both the same) in NEUTRAL and your foot MUST be on the brake so that the brake lights are on before the computer will allow the transfer case to shift into or out of 4LO.

check my post. lots of good information will help you there, and maybe we can get it sticky'ed as there seems to be alot of problems

thanks for the replies guys, so today i checked that the front hubs were locking properly by jacking it up and they are, i checked all fuses, i removed the 3 sensors on the bottom of the t/c and checked them with a multimeter and they seem to be working according to your post d40ryan, not 100% sure though haha.
i also removed the cover on the back of the t/c and had a look inside but its all clean and seems to be fine.

what would you say my next step should be?

Sounds to me like some diagnostics are required. Can you go through that and see what codes might be revealed?

Also, are there any other lights showing, like the ABS light?

Latest posts

Back