D40 5spd Auto slow to engage???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJJ84

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought my 2012 ST new in Feb 2012. Since day one, the auto has always been slow to engage reverse and drive and is particularly bad when going from reverse to drive. I don't notice much these days as I'm used to it, but anytime a none D40 owner gets in my car it reminds me as they'll go to take off before it's engaged.

Sometimes I just get a clunk when it engages, other times it's a few small clunks - assuming thats skipping teeth on gears and not slipping in.

Had my 70k service done yesterday, mentioned to Nissan (only at a stealership to check the towbar warranty) and they said it's normal and they've all nearly hit fences etc (rolling backwards before engaging drive) when moving cars in the yard

Does anyone else have the same issue? It's not a huge amount of time, probab;y 1-2 secs, but back in the day, my VX Commodore, I could be rolling backwards still, put it in drive and it'd take off straight away, seems strange for a car thats 10 years to go backwards in what it can do

cheers!

My 2012 D40 ST is the same. Like you say, I am used to it now but it still clunks and shudders if I'm not patient enough.

I also dislike the way it slurs between gears unless you're accelerating hard. The VW Amarok that I almost bought instead of the Navara had an 8 speed box with beautiful crisp and fast changes, almost as quick as a double clutch gearbox... But I wasn't willing to take the reliability gamble of a VW.

Mine's slow, but I'm used to it. I don't have a problem with the vehicle rolling anywhere - I know what the big pedal on the left is for, and I also know what the lever at my left hip is for too.

Yep... my 2012 ST D40 is the same... I'm used to it now but it took the missus a while and a couple of arguments to let it chill for a second or two between F-N-R :)
I guess at idle they must be running a pretty low oil pressure in the trans from the pump and it just takes time... as if you do give it a little herbs you'll hear the belts/bands/clutch packs slip and then grip.
They dont like it hey...

Mine was slow engaging from start up went to the stealership and had it look at after some inspection a new trans was ordered just under warranty good thing only 31000 ks 2010 st

Noticed but don't care always come to a full stop before changing gear. Seem to change straight away when coming from a full stop.

Latest posts

Back