D40 ARB dual battery system

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blairy

Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question about dual battery system,
I got a quote from my local arb and just wondering if this is my only option,
It was 1500 for the hole thing wired up and fitted to the tub, redarc smart start DC/DC battery charger 12V 20A. Was thinking I could fit it myself without there 400 fitting fee but is this a good price for the Smart start at 525 for the unit, or is there other options.

The SmartStart isn't a bad unit but there are better. It could be replaced with the solar option one, or the C-Tek D250S. Has dual inputs, one for alternator and one for solar panel. The unit chooses the best incoming power and applies that to charging the battery.

Personally I think it is a bit steep and you're buying something better suited for a battery system mounted up in the engine bay. For the D40 (and its limited space - unless you're truly inventive) I'd choose an alternative, put some properly-fused heavy cabling into the tub and run one of the dual-source chargers. That way I can tack a solar panel onto the roof and become even less dependent on the genny.

I'd certainly shop around before paying ARB any money.
When I was purchasing my BCDC1220, I got a price from ARB and then dug around. I can't recall the exact difference, but it was more than $100. I ended up buying mine from autoelecau on eBay (who is not only an autosparky, but was an authorised Redarc distributor), who was very helpful. So make sure you shop around; ARB are dear as poison.

In terms of options, it all rather depends on how much time/money you have and how handy you are. If you're going to pay someone, get quotes from as many 4WD shops are in the area, compare the parts/prices and then do some research on what each combo offers. Then choose your preferred option.

If you're handy with a drill, spanner and soldering iron, then your options are near limitless. If it were me, I'd spend the $1500 on a system similar to what Tony suggested. Put the battery in the tray, separate it from the front battery with an isolator/solenoid, install a suitable fuse (I used 450A ANL) and then run some fat cable between the front and rear batteries. Mount a charger in the tray with the battery and Roberts you're fathers brother; dual battery which you can jump start off. Build the box out of timber, mount up some 12V outlets and a fridge plug and it you've then got yourself a box that can charge some accessories and run your fridge.
Unsurprisingly, that's what I more or less did (though I can't recall the cost....less than $1500 I'm pretty sure). You then end up with something like this:

8895783702_77d17a4317.jpg

Here's a simplified version of the wiring diagram I used (I added some other features to mine), courtesy of Redarc:

http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hints/-/the_ultimate_dual_battery_setup

At any rate, it comes down to money, time and ability to wield tools. But at the VERY least, figure out what you want from your dual battery system, see what products are available and shop around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back