D40 Auto tx shudder...or am I dreaming?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to pay very close attention to mine. I've got a sneaking suspicion that something I was attributing to road surface or just "straining" (ie not kicking the thing back a gear) may be the same issue.

I was of the same thought that it was a shite road surface of such like, but then it started happening more and more and too be honest I do believe its got worst.:dong::angry:

Took mine to nissan couple days ago to get the problem fixed. Nissan said they did tests and it all seems fine . This wasn't good enough so i went down there and took the manager for a drive with the trailor on the back as is about 3 times worse with the load of the trailor on the back. Now that they know theres a fault they have to contact nissan australia to see if they will replace the torque convertor out of warranty . If its a known problem shoud not matter if its under warranty or not. They best come to the party and sort it out .

How bad a vibration are we talking about? Have only about 3000k on my stx diesel auto and notice a vibration between 80 and 95kph which disappears when the overdrive is turned off and engine revs increase.
I thought it may have been because the engine was reving so low at that speed and was normal. Should i be getting mine checked as well?

mate it will feel like you are running on rumble strip at the side of a motorway, or a bad road surface, first off i thought it was tyre related.. so if its like so get it checked NOW

Thats what it feels like but only does it in overdrive and travelling around
80k,s. I just thought that the overdrive gearing might have been a little too high for that speed and was normal with the diesel. Looks like I will have to get it checked out. How does yours feel now?

Gosh, all these problems with Autos! Poor fuel consumption, lower torque, DPF and now this torque converter. You guys with Autos should all just get a manual! The Navara is a man's car, what are you all doing driving an auto for?! :aetsch:

How bad a vibration are we talking about? Have only about 3000k on my stx diesel auto and notice a vibration between 80 and 95kph which disappears when the overdrive is turned off and engine revs increase.
I thought it may have been because the engine was reving so low at that speed and was normal. Should i be getting mine checked as well?

That is EXACTLY the same as mine was - new torque converter was fitted at 1500km no question asked. Good dealer response and the same good response from Nissan.

The vibration on mine was between 80-95k's in overdrive, if you had a trailor on was about 4 times worse . Nissan got back to me and said they would pay half of the part. (my cars out of warranty now). A new torque converter is $2200.00 so i rung nissan australia and had a whinge. They have now agreed to pay the total cost of the part but i have to pay the 500 dollars labour which isn't too bad. Skyline man i'll never swap my auto for a manual haha. I drove both when i bought mine and the auto felt heaps better and its always in the meat of the torque curve when accelerating because of the torque converter. And im still getting 650k's to a tank so im pretty happy with that. And as far as the navara been a mans car. A patrol or a land cruiser is a mans car. The navara is a toy which would break into pieces at the sight of any decent 4wd work :)

Last edited:
Hi guys, :big_smile:
Ok mine was doing it around the 60mph mark (96kmh) it was normally when under load say on a slight hill or powering up. As for wrong gearing the auto will work out the gears. If you turn off the overdrive and try it again it will be gone. Nissan Cyprus changed mine under warranty (35000miles on the clock - 56327km) and all seems fine now, good thing is I have 7years warranty on engine and transmission. So get them to sort yours out now...

Autos and problems?
I have a euro 3 model 2007, so don’t have the DPF, and currently getting between 29.8 mpg (47.95Kmpg) and 32.7 mpg (52.62kmpg) and driving it like I stole it (but yes I do have the DTE and CRD tuning boxes) most days on my 50km driver to work I cruse at 80mph (128.74kmh) it’s not unusual for me to kick the arse out of it and be at (150 + kmh). So I think my fuel consumption is good. Before the CRD box the wife would get 34.6mpg (55.68kmpg). :victory:

Low torque? :3gears:
Only yesterday I was out playing (sorry driving) and I came across a local in a merc 220 petrol who was driving like he stole it ( maybe he had?) so I teased him and passed him in traffic, then we came side by side at a set of traffic lights, he kicked the nuts out of the merc, broke a bit of traction and again as he changed gear it broke again traction, and there about a cars length back was me sitting alongside him and with 2 passengers in a 2ton plus truck, he didn’t look to impressed and no low torque just a truck pulling hard. With this in mind I would have lost time doing the gear changes that a Mans truck would have needed, so I will keep the auto thanks. :dancing2:

I'll stick with my auto because I want to tow, and the auto is so much nicer towing than the manual.

If you're ever in doubt about your own manhood, don't look in your garage, just drink a few beers and wait, you'll discover the answer: it's whether you sit down, or stand up, that makes the man. The vehicle is just window dressing.

I bet none of your auto's can chirp 3rd gear at 80km/h, thats impressive and suprises people next to you.

If you think nav's break easier than the patrols or landbargers, your smokin some weird shit!

Mate, not sure completley what you mean by chrip it in 3rd gear but trust me my auto kicks...:bike:

I have the DTE pdi and crd tuning boxes which have mnad it very fun to drive and best of all up the MPG.

and it was still pulling when i got this figure... but I ran out of test track

IMG_5324a.jpg

By chirp i mean get a slight wheelspin when changing gears, its good fun only manuals can do it. Il admitt its very hard to get it to do it in 3rd but 2nd is no prob for me.

The most speed i ever done was when the car was almost new and i done no mods to it, i did about 165km/h and took a big part of the ring road to do it. With the gas i can regurlarly hit 140km/h when overtaking trucks on freeways and feels like it wants to pull more but the car feels awkward and the suspension setup is not made for high speed.

The most speed i ever done was when the car was almost new and i done no mods to it, i did about 165km/h and took a big part of the ring road to do it.

I'm not suprised with the amount of cameras on that road you'd have been forever accelerator brake accelerator brake.

I bet none of your auto's can chirp 3rd gear at 80km/h, thats impressive and suprises people next to you.

I've got the V6 auto, full throttle kickdown @ 30-40km/h on dry hotmix will smoke up both tyres quite easily (but with my tyres costing around $1000ea that rarely occurs :no:)
Wet road, will very easily spin through 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears all the way into loss-of-licence-terrority speeds. Powerful enough to "surprise" people in 6 cylinder falcons and commodores....
Also have 2 V6 manual D40s, the gearboxes and clutches are crap, it's like driving a tractor. I'm not sure if the diesels and V6 D40's share drivelines but if they do then I would definately stick with the auto, smooth as!

I've got the V6 auto, full throttle kickdown @ 30-40km/h on dry hotmix will smoke up both tyres quite easily (but with my tyres costing around $1000ea that rarely occurs :no:)
Wet road, will very easily spin through 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears all the way into loss-of-licence-terrority speeds. Powerful enough to "surprise" people in 6 cylinder falcons and commodores....
Also have 2 V6 manual D40s, the gearboxes and clutches are crap, it's like driving a tractor. I'm not sure if the diesels and V6 D40's share drivelines but if they do then I would definately stick with the auto, smooth as!

Geez I'm really missing out. I don't try to suprise any driver no matter what they drive, if people want to beat me to the next set of traffic lights I let them.

I'm usually the same, but every now and then when you see some wanker in his bogan peice of crap car who thinks he's top shit, I love beating him off the lights then looking in my rear view mirror to see the look on their face when they get smoked by a 2 tonne truck. I can't help it, haha

I'm usually the same, but every now and then when you see some wanker in his bogan peice of crap car who thinks he's top shit, I love beating him off the lights then looking in my rear view mirror to see the look on their face when they get smoked by a 2 tonne truck. I can't help it, haha

I suppose I'm not entirely innocent, I used to do it against busses in the 8 tonne truck, I wasn't paying for fuel so i didn't care that I was getting 25l per 100

I have no doubt the d40 can fry tyres easily or fail to impress, its a powerful engine in that car, but on wet roads with the gas system my nav will fry tyres in 4th gear, thats the muddies, the gas is just awesome, if its not on gas you will be lucky to spin second.

Krafty i did that speed before the ring road had cameras. Forget it now. But if for some silly reason i were to do it again(which i wouldnt cos of kids and family) i would be shittin myself more of other idiot including myself road users more then the cameras.

Back