D40 brake pads/linings wear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundowner2

Reaction score
I had read somewhere that the friction material used in modern brake linings and pads, now without asbestos, tend to wear a lot quicker. With this in mind I pulled the wheels and drums off my 2012 D40 RX having now travelled 37'000km, I was actually pleasantly surprised, especially given that some 60% of that distance would have been with our 1850kg Jayco Outback in tow.

Attachments

• At 37'484 km 1.JPG
    At 37'484 km 1.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 92
  • At 37'484 km 2.JPG
    At 37'484 km 2.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 89
By about 72,000km you will need both rotors and pads. That's when you put the slotted rotors, no dust pad versions on. There are plenty of suppliers and don't forget, brakes you don't skimp on!

jonney, there was quite a lot of dust....I am always very wary of it too...I know that asbestos has been banned for some time but you never know, remember Chinese Chery's!!...I hose the dust away with plenty of water.
Bloke48, thanks for that, I'll be pulling the wheels off every 10k km or so.

Speaking of brake pads... this is my d22 front left. Right was the same, but hands were too dirty from repacking the left wheel bearings to take a pic. Just shy of 75000km. Don't tow a lot, but not shy on the brakes either. I meant to take a pic of the rears last week when I was changing the brake fluid, but didn't :/ ... they are still quite meaty though...

Bods, looks like good driving skills as in not heavy on the brake pedal etc going by the looks of your front pads. so why are guys wearing out there brakes within 30k ? heavy on the foot maybe , ha ha.

Latest posts

Back