d40 brake wear.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow that's great! so, how do you stop? mind sharing your secrets?

Not sure what the secret is, I drive it fairly hard with alot of stop start on the m4 or Great Western Highway. We both use our Navara's to tow our Malibu boat 2000kg+ and our enclosed bike trailer so the brakes get a workout. Both Navara's are still on original clutch too.

Is there a brake wear indicator on the rear drum brakes? Got a hell of a squeal coming from somewhere.

If you are underneath the car there is an inspection hole on the back side of the brakes. Not sure if you have the manual but I'm sure it will be shown in there to give you a better idea where to look for it.

Just had it looked at by Robsons in Welshpool, symptoms didn't add up for brakes. Turns out it was a dodgey uni joint. Only a 2008 model, just out of warrantee, bummer. Hope it's not a precursor to other things.

D40 Brake Wear

Hi Guys
I had my 3rd D40 in for it's 40 k service today (45k on the clock)..once again I was told that my front disc rotors & pads needed replacing, & also the linings on my rear brakes (yeah I drive backwards a lot !!)
Had the same comment on my first D40..I was told that the rotors were down to 26.5 mm & that the min was 26.0..I said no way & just sold the vehicle soon after.
The second D40 was replaced with only 18 K on the clock thanks to the Govt
Asset aquisition scheme so I dont know about pad/disc wear on that vehicle.
I dont tow much or do much in the way of beach or real 4WDriving.
Do all Nissan dealers routinely advise disc rotor & pad change at 40 K??
Now the quote for the service is $2000 including the brake replacements!!!!
Sounds like a rip off to me.
Has anybody else had this experience & what did you do?
Cheers DAS

The 40K service is a big one, and I had my front rotors and pads replaced in that service as well. Nissan rotors are made from a high quality cheddar and the pads produce more soot than my exhaust (literally). I'm now on aftermarket rotors and pads, no dust but braking performance isn't what it used to be.

I have a set of DBA rotors to go in, courtesy of RLI - haven't found the time to install them yet, having a few other issues annoying me right now. I might go for a new set of pads when I replace the rotors anyway, just to be safe.

I say that's bullshit, I'm doing my 40K this weekend and there is no way going by what I saw at the last service that I'm replacing the pads this service, they still had 50% life in them at 30K.

Would seem to me that driving like a grumpy old man has more benefits than just a few dollars in the fuel tank.

Yeah pretty normal. They are literally
Made of
Chalk. Ask For Aftermarket discs. Or supply them
Yourself and just pay labour.

Should of got a D22 Krafty.

Time for a road trip to wear down those pads, take a trip to NSW.

Why do I need to drive to NSW for you to pick on me you can do that while I am here :ha:

D22 is still only just over half of a D40 so I can't expect to get better brake wear out of half a car :eviltongue:

i love my new nav but a few things like this worry me the hilux i just got rid of got new front pads at 110000kms sold it at 209000 or something like that and never done the rear 60 is sounding a bit soft.

All things last as well as you treat them, don't be scared off by a few people who always tell you the worst...most of them are jealous D22 drivers :sarcastic:

Yeah I wish my brake pads wouldn't last the drive home from the dealership.

Did Nissan use the same supplier for brake parts in the D40's as Toyota does for there LSD's ?

Just did the 40K service and had the brakes looked at by a brake mechanic who's been in the business 40 years and is the go to bloke when most trucking companies need their brakes done at after 40,000kms his recommendation on the brakes is that there is 70-80% left on each corner.

Massive brake wear, pads that last 5 mins, shit brakes because the badge says D40, pfft I still say treat a car well and it treats you well. Through an experts opinion I have now re-evaluated my brake pads change and wont even bother being concerned with it until 80K and maybe thinking about it by 100K but more likely 120K

Latest posts

Back