d40 brake wear.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did the 40K service and had the brakes looked at by a brake mechanic who's been in the business 40 years and is the go to bloke when most trucking companies need their brakes done at after 40,000kms his recommendation on the brakes is that there is 70-80% left on each corner.

Massive brake wear, pads that last 5 mins, shit brakes because the badge says D40, pfft I still say treat a car well and it treats you well. Through an experts opinion I have now re-evaluated my brake pads change and wont even bother being concerned with it until 80K and maybe thinking about it by 100K but more likely 120K

Highway/open country roads versus stop start city driving, That makes a huge difference to brake pad wear, Angry townies racing from one set of lights to the next with heavy braking in between. Commodores and falcons i believe were the same machined at 20 replaced at 40 thou, Its how they make money

I have no doubt the locations I spend my time in have as much to do with it as the way I drive but it goes to show that unless my pads came out of a different factory to so many others it's more about how you treat them than blanket statements like all D40 pads are shit.

I have no doubt the locations I spend my time in have as much to do with it as the way I drive but it goes to show that unless my pads came out of a different factory to so many others it's more about how you treat them than blanket statements like all D40 pads are shit.

In a nutshell, Its like fuel economy its all about the right foot

Totally agree I just like annoying people who make silly claims *looks at Dave*

That would be!

He's not the only one but he's often the most vocal on D40 pad wear, I know he will come back with something justifying his ramblings but it makes no difference I'm going to get shitloads more than 40K out of my D40 brakes so it's not a case of all D40 brakes are shit.

I just like sticking it too the man....or in this case Dave :sarcastic:

Like the wifes vx commodore 238,000 and still the original rotors, Yet i think holden use to change them about every 40 or so

Even Nissan don't claim the pads on a D40 need replacing at 40K it's inspection only. With things the way they are in this world I can't imagine Nissan selling too many cars if they only used 40K brakes anyway. The fact that some people are replacing them at that distance just goes to show that some people are harder on their gear than others.

Totally agree I just like annoying people who make silly claims *looks at Dave*

I just like bagging D40's cause you drive one.

Your paying the bills for it, if your happy thats all that matters.

Anyways, back on topic.

This was on topic, we've been discussing my brake wear and how at 40K there is still about 70-80% left in them. It's a real world discussion with comparisons and examples.

I have done 61000 kms in my d40, mix of highway and city driving and my brakes are only half worn maybe just over, I was suprised to hear that people have been changing them at 40,000k's.

Last edited:
Guys
Had my 20k service on the weekend and the dealers report says that my rear brakes are worn faster than my front brakes and they haven't worn at all since my 10k service! is this normal? I always thought that the Front brakes did the stopping and the rears were for balance. any valid reason my dealer says otherwise?
Thanks.

Guys
Had my 20k service on the weekend and the dealers report says that my rear brakes are worn faster than my front brakes and they haven't worn at all since my 10k service! is this normal? I always thought that the Front brakes did the stopping and the rears were for balance. any valid reason my dealer says otherwise?
Thanks.

The rear brakes do balance the braking, they're used for something like 30% of the braking of a vehicle travelling forward.

They shouldn't wear faster unless there was muck caught inside, like sand or other forms of grit. If you've been on beaches, or through mud or water crossings, have you washed the brakes out afterwards?

Your dealer just gets a measuring stick out and reads off the thickness of the pad as part of their checklist, which will also say "min thickness is x mm". It's something you could check yourself.

Thanks Tony
I will pop my head under and have a look in daylight tonight. I do a bit of driving in Mallee dust/sand. I usually wash her out once i get home, will have to try a bit harder in the future! Thanks Mate.

My 2002 d22 is on original pads and shoes @190,000 Ks something does not add up 40,000 wow some hard bracking ?

The D40 has softer front rotors and those crappy pads that emit all that black dust. It's a marginally heavier vehicle that's shipped to perform like a car - in acceleration and braking.

The price is increased brake wear. Not usually in the rear - I'm still on my original pads in the rear (80,000km) and had my rotors replaced with aftermarket ones @ 40,000km. I have to put some DBA rotors in yet - ashamed to say I haven't done that yet - but the front rotors and pads (non-genuine) aren't close to the wear limit yet.

Back