d40 brake wear.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d40 brake wear

Gday just like to add my experience with D40 brakes changed front rotors and pads at 80k and I have been towing a 21 ft van weighing about 2.2 tonnes for most of its life. At the 80 k service dealer said pad wear was down a bit as I told him next trip would be about 15k so had pads and rotos done but would have done the trip without the change but better to be safe than sorry. Ute had its 90k service today and not much brake wear. We have changed van and weight will be close to 2.4tonne all up. I try and set the brake controller for van brakes to come on slightly before the Ute so as to spread the brake load over the two and hqvent had any premature brake wear on the Ute or the 3 vans that its towed.

Well, after reading all this I don't feel so bad. Had my 90k service today and was told the front pads and discs needed to be changed at the next service, if not earlier. I was a bit shocked about the discs. I didn't realise that they would need changing this early. Any way, was quoted approximately $800 by Nissan for front pads and discs, is this too much/ok/cheap???

Well, after reading all this I don't feel so bad. Had my 90k service today and was told the front pads and discs needed to be changed at the next service, if not earlier. I was a bit shocked about the discs. I didn't realise that they would need changing this early. Any way, was quoted approximately $800 by Nissan for front pads and discs, is this too much/ok/cheap???

I would go with after market pads and rotors for that price, everyone that i have spoke with say DBA rotors are the goods and will still be cheaper then the nissan quote you have been given.

I can see i will have to go down that path at some stage myself, BUT only one of my rotors is wearing and developing big lips on the inner and outer edge, the others side (passenger) is like new :dontknow:

Nath,

Quite strange that your's has big inner and outer lips, just on one side.

Does it feel different?

Yeah Joe its strange, but still brakes straight, doesnt pull to one side or anything.

I did mention it a while back when i first noticed it, but i got the "its all within spec" type of excuse. I may bring it up again just to see what they say this time, lol

I paid under $300 for RDA slotted rotors, delivered. Using Bendix "4wd" pads, under $100 delivered.

Takes about an hour if you take your time and don't rush the job.

That was probably 30,000km ago and the rotors have no signs of wear, the pads have plenty of meat left on them.

Majority of my use of this vehicle now is towing our caravan (big bugger).

Just had new rotors TWR vented and Bendix 4wd pads replaced last week cost $442. Rotors worn out disk pads 3 parts worn at 75,000klm.

John

Update, I have now done 125000 kms and brake pads and rotors are fine.

Yeah my 2010 Thai D40 still has the original rotors and pads after 120k.

I think like allot of other things the brakes are different between place of manufacture, i also notice i get HEAPS more brake dust on the Spain built then the Thai model.

Last edited:

I think like allot of other things the brakes are different between place of manufacture, i also notice i get HEAPS more brake dust on the Spain built then the Thai model.

Sounds about right - Euro vehicles tend to have much "softer" rotors and pads than other markets. But that being said, the brakes tend to "bite" a lot harder too.

Example - Mercedes ML stops faster in both wet and dry conditions than a Mazda 6 (proven by Wheels magazine in a series of tests across market segments they did a few years ago).

Yeah Joe its strange, but still brakes straight, doesnt pull to one side or anything.

I did mention it a while back when i first noticed it, but i got the "its all within spec" type of excuse. I may bring it up again just to see what they say this time, lol

I have had a good look and there is no protruding lip/s on my Thai model either.

Back