D40 Brakes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unkn0wn

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm a few things with the D40 braking system. Im about to undergo a upgrade/change on a mates d40.

We are ordering the safe-brake extended brake line kit as with the lift his rear lines only just reach (another mate ordered a kit from them for his landcruser and i was really impressed with the quality)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171021517557?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

now we are thinking of doing some new rotors, maybe slotted DBA along with some bendix 4wd pads for the front.

What is the recommended brake fluid for the D40? with all these changes will will be doing a full flush and needing a fair amount of fluid.

Any special tricks to bleeding, i think it has ABS, so...yeah...

cheers, Christian

DBA4000's with a decent, Bitey pad... Soft pads bite better, and don't wear out the rotor.. They are more dusty, but that's the trade off..

With ABS systems, just make sure the reservoir is never empty.. While bleeding the brakes, keep topping it up..

DOT5 is the best, but that's high temp, so I am sure DOT4 is more than enough...

The old rule of thumb is start from the furtherest(!) point from the resevoir and work to the closest.... EG - if Res is on drivers side in engine bay, start at REAR PASSENGER, REAR DRIVER, FRONT PASSENGER and finally FRONT DRIVERS..

If you're flushing the brake fluid, suck out as much of the old stuff as you can, then fill it up with new stuff.. Bleed each side until fresh fluid comes through...

Always get the person in the cabin to hold the pedal to the floor when bleedin', so you can close of the bleed nipple.

Have an empty plastic bottle for the old fluid.

That's about all..

I just did the brake line upgrade on my D40 and new front pads. I run Hawke Racing pads I get from CompFriction. Plenty of bite from the pads and virtually no dust.
I did the bleeding by myself and have to admit I was really cautious.
Many have said that putting the pedal all the way to the floor can kill the brake master cylinder.
I bought an el cheapo brake bleeder from Repco and I was pleasantly surprised with the result.
I started LR and worked my way to RF and then just for giggles did the load valve as well.
I was literally leaning in through the front door and pushing the pedal about half way by hand.System bled fairly easily and a few weeks later its all still good as I could want and heaps better than factory.I run the DBA drilled and slotted rotors ( my D40 is a street queen) and the truck pulls up good and straight.
I got about 80,000km from the first set of pads from Hawke racing and there was still about 4mm of pad left.Great pads but not cheap at around the $150 mark

Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm a few things with the D40 braking system. Im about to undergo a upgrade/change on a mates d40.

We are ordering the safe-brake extended brake line kit as with the lift his rear lines only just reach (another mate ordered a kit from them for his landcruser and i was really impressed with the quality)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171021517557?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

now we are thinking of doing some new rotors, maybe slotted DBA along with some bendix 4wd pads for the front.

What is the recommended brake fluid for the D40? with all these changes will will be doing a full flush and needing a fair amount of fluid.

Any special tricks to bleeding, i think it has ABS, so...yeah...

cheers, Christian
If you want some CUSTOM AUSTRALIAN made braided lines with Australian fittings for $78 per line delivered send me a PM, we have a group but going on at the moment, they are been built to suit the length you require by DieselTuner (member of the forum) from A1 Caboolture Exhaust & Mechanical

Here is a link to the group buy thread if you are interested.
http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=23329

Hmm the brakes are pretty much the only thing I don't like about my d40. I went down the coast on the weekend and suffered pretty bad fade over the Clyde. Going to start going over the brake system to figure out what's letting me down. An upgrade is definitely on the cards.

It's a manual. I've been driving cars over that mountain for years and this is the first time I've ever had any issues with the brakes. Pretty sure the lines are original maybe they are cactus?

I felt a better pedal after upgrading the lines. It was a lot firmer
I took the truck down throuhg Kangaroo Valley a while back and had no issues at all on the brakes. I will say that I wasnt racing by any means and used the gears all the way but did have to use the brakes a bit. Didnt have any issues with fade though
Would actually be a good chance to compare the brakes. Yours standard and mine modded .

I've just replaced bendix 4x4 pads for bendix heavy duty,the heavy duty seem to warm up quicker,and stop well.They do seem to be dusting the rims a bit more but i'm happy with there performance.

I felt a better pedal after upgrading the lines. It was a lot firmer
I took the truck down throuhg Kangaroo Valley a while back and had no issues at all on the brakes. I will say that I wasnt racing by any means and used the gears all the way but did have to use the brakes a bit. Didnt have any issues with fade though
Would actually be a good chance to compare the brakes. Yours standard and mine modded .

Yeah might have to organise that. I'm going to have someone look over the ute to make sure there isn't a mechanical problem with it.

My Navara was bought new in Feb. I get a heavy coating of black soot\dust from the brakes is this normal? like if i clean the car give it a week and i can see the black dust easily.

Still standard brake pads. could this be the issue?

My D40 owners manual says DOT3 brake fluid. Don't think I've ever seen DOT3! I use DOT4.

Brakes are a sign of weakness.

My Navara was bought new in Feb. I get a heavy coating of black soot\dust from the brakes is this normal? like if i clean the car give it a week and i can see the black dust easily.

Still standard brake pads. could this be the issue?
Stock pads are very dusty. You can get a few different after market pads that will cure the problem

Latest posts

Back