D40 cabin dust

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUTSACK

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the amount of dust that enters the cabin on the D40's? I get alot of build up around anything with a gap especially the rear power window switches, door handles, window rubbers and on the body where the doors close over (door seals).
I'm not talking about a small amount either, its at the point where i'm constantly thinking of selling it.
We have hiluxs,Colorados and ford utes that travel the exact same dirt driveway as me and have no where near the amount of dust i get and they also go offroad where mine is a tar ute only except the 400m dirt driveway.
Is this common for Nissans?

Some will blame the lack of cabin filters for the dust, Nissan want them changed every 20K yet for some reason don't see fit to install them until 20K (if they in fact do it then).

My car sits in a garage with the window down when it's at home and the rest of the garage gets dust blowing through it like a desert sand storm so dust isn't something I worry about greatly. I did try the "genuine" cabin filters, my own home made filters and no filters driving across the Nullarbor and noticed no difference, but others claim to have noticed some difference.

Check to see if yours has the cabin filters (search for cabin filters) and if not try it and see what you think, otherwise check your seals and grommets etc.

Thanks for that, i'll check. I can't really see how these filters would affect dust coming in around all the plastics in the rear but...Its only just ticked over 16,oookm and has been like it since new and is like nothing i have ever owned before, the Amarok sounds more enticing everyday...

Last edited:
Thanks for that, i'll check. I can't really see how these filters would affect dust coming in around all the plastics in the rear but...Its only just ticked over 16,oookm and has been like it since new and is like nothing i have ever owned before, the Amarok sounds more enticing everyday...

sell it dude you dont sound happy with it at all.
if you dont go off road except for 400m of dirt road why get a 4x4 ute?
i have had my d40 on a trip that involved 180km of dirt road which included following other cars and i got no more dust in my d40 then my m8's hilux or another friends commodore adventura all wheel drive thing. we all had dust in the door jams and around the hinges but i am yet to see a car or 4wd that doesnt.
:wash_truck:

sell it dude you dont sound happy with it at all.
if you dont go off road except for 400m of dirt road why get a 4x4 ute?
i have had my d40 on a trip that involved 180km of dirt road which included following other cars and i got no more dust in my d40 then my m8's hilux or another friends commodore adventura all wheel drive thing. we all had dust in the door jams and around the hinges but i am yet to see a car or 4wd that doesnt.
:wash_truck:

I was originally getting the 2wd but wanted the extra power and thought for an extra few grand i might as well get the 4x4 as i intended to get out camping & fishing more.

The other bloke at work has a 07/08 STX and he is complaining about the same thing after just a few weeks and he has come from a 07/08 Hilux and i come from a 07 BF falcon ute both of which had no where near the amount of dust. We also have 2 08 Hiluxs here and they don't have this problem either.

Your right about not being completely happy with it but to sell it so soon and lose the amount of $$$ i would is not what i really want either. For such a late model 4x4 this sort of thing should not be a problem you have to deal with.

To be honest in the 18 months or so I've owned mine I've only heard of about 3 people with dust issues. If it were me and I was convinced it was an issue I'd be checking all the seals and grommets etc, I wouldn't trust anyone else to it and I wouldn't just accept that someone else says they are ok.

Seals and grommets are the sort of things which could easily get installed wrong, fail for any number of reasons or just be over looked. Had I not had my car over the pits a week or so after I brought it I'd have never realised that one of the grommets under the drivers seat was pushed in.

I was originally getting the 2wd but wanted the extra power and thought for an extra few grand i might as well get the 4x4 as i intended to get out camping & fishing more.

The other bloke at work has a 07/08 STX and he is complaining about the same thing after just a few weeks and he has come from a 07/08 Hilux and i come from a 07 BF falcon ute both of which had no where near the amount of dust. We also have 2 08 Hiluxs here and they don't have this problem either.

Your right about not being completely happy with it but to sell it so soon and lose the amount of $$$ i would is not what i really want either. For such a late model 4x4 this sort of thing should not be a problem you have to deal with.

:hmmmm2: it sounds like you have something wrong with the seals or grommets like krafty said. it doesnt sound right my sister lives on a farm about 50km of dirt road from the nearest town she owns a new pajero and my brother in law owns a rodeo all of us get some sort of dust in the car but nothing that bothers us to the point of frustration you are obviously experiencing. like i said before i have been on the same road as my m8's hilux and we both had about the same amount of dust as each other. so your nav does sound like the exception and can probably be fixed. :dontknow:

Check the membrane behind the door liners, these usually need some attention to extra sealing.
The rear door membrane has a triangular section at the top rear missing, this allows dust to come in behind the door liners. (yes, design error).
Try sealing the drain holes in the bottom of each door during the dry dusty season. (open one during the wet)
Apply positive pressure to the cabin when on dirt eg. windows up, intake air open & fan on low.
Hope this helps
Rd's

Just did a trip to Cooktown, took the coast road up and back and i have dust in pretty much all the door seals, door handles, window switches, door hinges, and the little furry strip at the base of the windows,, it don,t make me happy,, But it gives me a chance to sit down with a 6 pack and a rag and clean it, Part and Parcel of owning a D40 or any other 4WD i rekon

Hi all,
I got a 2010 D40, it seems like nothing wrong at the first year.. but when I reached around 25.000km++ it starts spraying dust all over the cabin (inside)..
Got it check at Nissan, and they just adjusting the door lock (at the frame).. but I still got the same problem, the condition was really frustrating.. you can feel all the dust when you breathing.. so it ain't normal..
anyway, i got the video if u guys need to examine it...
I found that the dust comes in from the hinges (I got it sealed with silicon glue), and seals at the back doors seems like doesn't firmly pressed when the door closed..

Latest posts

Back