D40 clearance blues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante

Reaction score
So I have the blues. I just put my 2012 D40 ute (2" lift + 32's) next to a standard 2012 hilux (stock + 30's) and took some measurements. Now, I am disappointed.

I took the chassis clearance measurement from the middle of each ute.
Navara - 360 mm
Hilux - 400 mm

Front clearance (from the lowest point I could see)
Navara - 280 mm
Hilux - 230 mm

Both utes are fitted with bullbars (Xrox on mine, factory alloy on the Hilux) so I found the frontal clearance numbers interesting. The Navara has a reputation for having low frontal clearance so I am pretty happy with this. If the Hilux was fitted with a 2" lift and 32's it would be similar.

But the chassis clearance through the guts is what really grinds me down with the Navara. Even the sills on mine look the same height as a stock Hilux. Even if I went the illegal route and fitted a 4" lift kit it would only be on par with a stock Hilux in terms of chassis clearance. It is just so low and I can't get my head around it - this is almost a breakup-able offence by Nissan.

Need to check out the Ranger and Colorado! Hopefully the D40 will fair better against them and make me feel better ...

Haha I will ! I mean don't get wrong, the D40 is great and it has taken me to many places. It just doesn't have that stance you know. Ah well. Move on and up as they say ! :dummy:

Yeah I hear ya when I got the 22 that was why I needed more height now the kids are in prison in the back growing like weeds I need a d40 rear seat at least you can pip the lux at the lights.

Everything runs out of clearance. So the guy with the higher ute gets 100 metres further up the track, big deal. I know exactly what you're saying but it's not the end of the world.

If you want height don't buy anything with an IFS end of story.

One advantage of being closer to the ground, you create a smaller frontal surface area, so in theory, you should get better fuel economy.

As Siringo said you have a good tourer that gets anywhere within it's limits with comfort,last year I pulled out a v8 cruiser with huge lift and tyres in very soft sand near Dilli village on Fraser just a big heavy rig in the sand and down she went I reckon he had 100k put into it to be pulled out by my pissy 22 would of been embarrassing.

Latest posts

Back