D40 Durability

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
07 Auto STX 70000 and mine is like Tonys and Petes bloody rubber mate on the drivers side looking thin under foot,other than that gets driven fast and hard some times for along time to cover long distances and has never complained once.I would buy another one tommorow, think a v6 sounds good after they iron any bugs out if thers any.

@Blue
I'll be glad to take your stock turbo outta your hands. Heheh. Jes kiddin. Awesome build, yours.

Glad to hear from guys with decent mileage. Still just a few in 6 figures. Any guys who've replaced the fuel pump? At what mileage did you have to get it? I'm told this apart from the turbo is the next thing to go.

Although I'm not really a technical guy I'd like to think I take care of my cars well. All have never missed a service at the stealerships. That's not enough for this one apparently. Still working out whether its wise to put some more money in this thing or not.

@Grunt
Yup should've been covered but the turbo whining's only been apparent a couple weeks after warranty expired. Lucky me! :rant: Upon inspection not much shaft play but the blades of the turbine are now scraping the housing. Compressor side is fine though. Power is still good but I can't go driving around my normal routes. If it goes its nearly impossible to get a tow truck to come get me in the mountains.

Am now waiting for a possible "goodwill" action from Nissan.

Stock turbo from Nissan costs ~ AUD 3,555.00 locally. :wtf: Any vendors with gtb2056vk's in stock please feel free to pm me. Not really hoping much from Nissan.

106000 up to now on a 06 rx auto just had the left rear seal on the shaft replaced no other problems so far

@ToyTruck

I had a goodwill claim for front oil seal denied at 103000kms (and under 3 years old), so I will be interested in how you go with that one. Please post when you find out.

Brain fart. Check that, the compressor side is the one scraping the housing, turbine side is fine.

Hearing about all your problem free mileage gets me so envious!

@bm0
Will do. Just called the dealer and according to the mech I know inside, the request is still on the warranty officer's desk.

My 07 STX auto has 96000 on the clock, admittedly I have only put 26000 on it, but the car has had a good going over and all appears ship shape, no signs of anything out of the ordinary. I have a Chip it chip, EGR mod, DPF delete and a 150L long range tank and tow a 2800kg caravan at times.. I do get a bit nervous reading about the dramas that some seem to have, but I think it's like that with any vehicle..Oh yeah and the only way it would go to a stealership is if there were some issue that we couldn't fix any other way..

Toytruck, there is a reason for turbochargers to fail like that and most often it's because the driver is unaware of how to manage a turbocharged vehicle.

Turbochargers - because they're driven by the exhaust - get extremely hot. The shaft that connects the turbine to the compressor has bearings on it that are fed oil under pressure by the motor.

If you are driving along and the turbo is nice and hot and you suddenly turn off the engine, that oil flow stops - and the heat of the turbo starts to cook it. Hot oil will adhere to the surfaces - including inside the bearings. This destroys the bearings and then destroys the turbocharger.

There are 3 ways to fix this.

1) Consciously allow the turbocharger to cool by driving gently for the last couple of minutes of your journey, or idling the engine over for a minute or two when you stop and then shut the engine down.

2) Purchase and install a turbo timer.

3) Purchase the components to make a turbo timer that monitors the exhaust gas temperature and shuts the engine off once the turbocharger's temperature falls below a satisfactory level (if you call that "under 300C" you should be ok).

Those little turbochargers we have in our trucks can spin at over 100,000rpm. Even a small amount of damage to the bearing can make it come apart very, very quickly with devastating results - and D22 drivers that don't have intercoolers are the ones paying the highest price, because chunks of compressor end up inside the combustion chamber and it's bye-bye engine as well.

The question to ask is.

How much is the Navara going to cost me over 200-300K km's? When almost the whole car is going to have to be replaced around you one piece at a time over the years.

On most early cars parts can be rebuild very cheaply such as injectors and pump.
With all late model stuff its bin and buy new.

Its also a bit hit and miss with who gets a well built truck that will last.

Bit of pay and pray (poor old zd30 patrol's come to mind)

Ive seen plenty now with 300k + on them. But im yet to see one thats in good nick with more than about 150k on it.

@Tony
Thanks for that. Can't speak for the guys I don't know who had busted turbos but the guys I know (and I myself) know well enough to cool down the turbo even on short trips. Hard to surge it since these are automatics.

I think it has more to do with the intake hose collapsing during acceleration. Can't fault me for that either as I'm gentle on the pedal. And I change the air filter long before the dealer would (scheduled service). I'm told the Thai build has a smaller, more restrictive airbox paired with a hose that's way too soft. Too little surface area for the flow needed so air filter clogs easily (mine at around 3000kms). Then the intake hose collapses when the turbo tries to flow in more air then the filter would let in. A few incidents like this later and the turbo's busted.

I don't really want to go K&N as there are too many failed MAF sensor horror stories. I'd get a dry type cone filter but found it way too noisy. It doesn't make sense to me that I should need a noisy aftermarket intake for normal regular use.

@Northside
Bingo! That's exactly it. I don't mind mediocre FC as it more than makes up for it in other things specially the looks department. I just hope Nissan realizes durability is still a major concern that makes or breaks a sale. I've been a loyal Nissan client (3 Nissans to date) but now considering other makes for my next car.

Last edited:
I have only just vanquished the demons of doubt after buying my D40 & convinced myself they are no worse than any other new vehicle in the reliability stakes. Now you buggers are setting me back on the path of dispair, expecting that the inevitable is going to happen at any moment.

Damn you guys :suicide2:

:big_smile:

Joe just do what the rest of us do and ignore all the nay sayers, we can't all have taste.

Joe, I hope the following list gives you some solace.

Ferrari

Lamborghini

Maserati Australia

Jaguar Australia

BMW

The Navara isn't alone, either.

Toyota

Here's one that happens to our Navaras too:
Toyota

You could have a field day looking through the list and laughing at the misfortune of other owners. I'm very happy with my car, but it could just as easily have been a lemon - it happens to any manufacturer.

Think happy thoughts. That glass is half full.

2007 d40stx manual 115000km still on original front pads and rotors,original clutch towing 2000kg for 85000km.no mechanical issues at all

Thats some serious life out of brake pads!

good to know that the factory clutch can last that long too, although I think I will still be upgrading before mine fails.

I wonder if it a case that because cars are becoming increasingly more sophisticated and therefore replacement parts increasingly expensive, the vehicles themselves are becoming consumables with an ever decreasing lifespan?

Or is this the same cry that has been going on for years and the simple fact is that as the vehicles age, a greater number of aftermarket replacement parts become available which make it viable to keep these vehicles on the road?

Maybe some look back to the "Golden years" with rose coloured glasses, forgetting how unreliable the cars of yesteryear could often be when they were new?

New car warrantees are becoming longer. Vehicles have standard inclusions which once could never be imagined and yet they are effectively becoming more affordable.

Anyway if that is not enough to convice you that further therapy is required, perhaps you could join me and we could book a bulk consultation. :big_smile:

P.S the Toyota recall information is quite specific: "When the vehicle is frequently accelerated and decelerated quickly on severely corrugated roads that specifically feature large numbers of cattle grid crossings, the rear tailshaft centre bearing brackets may detach."
A bit of a combination there.

Last edited:
was told by fella who worked at land rover uk that the then owners ford engineer a 150k 10yr lifespan into there vehicles

Back