D40 Durability

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep all the filters clean do the services every 5000, or 10000 and drive it properly and it will last' Mine has done 140000kms towing 2.5 to 3tonn of tandem trailer full of wood and gravel plus the ute full of wood aswell. any work that was done to the vehicle mechanical wise was done before 50000 and was all covered under warrenty( clutch, uni joint, 2 abs lines) I have an egr sensor on mine so you can keep an eye on temp' offroad is good with a rear locker all round good truck.:rock:

The D40 (and R51) info is the same - under certain circumstances only. There are going to be quite a few D40 owners that will never have > 55Kg hanging off the front while doing 90km/h on a severely corrugated road.

The point is, our Navaras are NO different to any other makes, even the luxury ones have problems, so there's no need to feel like you're driving "the worst of the bunch". It's just another car.

Remember all the trouble Toyota had with their cruise controls locking on people being killed due to it. They recalled several million cars worlwide.

Not only do all manufacturers have problems but all manufacturers have cars and models that have provided trouble free motoring for owners for years. It is often the luck of the draw and I really doubt any manufacturer would build in expiry dates to some of their vehicles and not others.

Many people can cite different problems suffered by different manufacturers which results in the "model XYZ are all lemons and wont last 20K" comments but as with so many other problems one of the biggest contributors to such problems is often ignored. Lemons can and are made but the way owners treat their cars is always going to be a huge factor in mechanical problems and breakages and more often that not those doing the breaking claim they are innocent and it's all the manufacturers fault not theirs, some people just need a reality check occasionally.

Not only do all manufacturers have problems but all manufacturers have cars and models that have provided trouble free motoring for owners for years. It is often the luck of the draw and I really doubt any manufacturer would build in expiry dates to some of their vehicles and not others.

Many people can cite different problems suffered by different manufacturers which results in the "model XYZ are all lemons and wont last 20K" comments but as with so many other problems one of the biggest contributors to such problems is often ignored. Lemons can and are made but the way owners treat their cars is always going to be a huge factor in mechanical problems and breakages and more often that not those doing the breaking claim they are innocent and it's all the manufacturers fault not theirs, some people just need a reality check occasionally.

Yes. Well put Krafty.

@Krafty
Pretty sure I'm not one of them :tongue:

Anyway, faith in the brand is restored, Nissan is currently replacing my turbo under "goodwill". :dance3: Sure pays to know all the mechanics, supes and bosses down at the dealership. And it always pays to be nice!

Being nice did not work for me... nor did being angry (after being nice)...

too bad... oil leak was noticed after your warranty period so cough up for the repairs, quote from Nissans response (to my response) "we are sorry to hear of your disappointment however Nissan's position on this was clear in our last letter"

I would have thought that meeting halfway would be appropriate.. but I am getting OT....

Good news for you Toy Truck!!

@bm0
Thanks man. Sorry to hear bout yours though. "It sometimes pays to be nice" makes more sense. I was told that paying half was on the table for quite a bit, but they finally dropped it. Maybe this being the family's 4th Nissan had something to do with it. At least you got to 103tkms. Was it just the seal though?

2 seals,

Front one on the motor and the front one on the transfer case.. Common on the TC i am told.

Dad and I have both had 2 nissans each in a row (2 XTrails, a Pathfinder and my Nav) all from the same dealership. I even learnt to drive in a 1982 Pulsar!! I informed nissan of all of this and even asked for them to cover half.. They would not have a bar of it, just sent me back somewhat rude letters.

I should not whine too much.. I have had a pretty good run and that repair only cost me $700, it was more the principle of it rather than the dollars.

I now have 191,000km's on my 07 auto.

To date I've had the torque converter replaced under warranty at 70,000km and since then apart from normal servicing I've done two sets of front brake pads one set of front brake rotors and at approx 175,000km's drivers side front wheel bearing and at 180,000km's fuel Suction Control Valve (Was told it was fuel pump but once I investigated myself I found it to be only the SCV.).

Places I go and the way I drive with a constant 700kg load, I can not complain about the run I've had out of my ute.

Last edited:
207,000 and still happy

Jan 06, Manual diesel.
As we live out of town, every time the key is turned, it does 65km minimum, so I expect longevity from most of the mechanical components.
We do a fair bit of 4WD getting to fishing spots and I am very careful to use low range on boat ramps, some of them are dreadful anyway, hence the Hyland coupling on the boat trailer! Still original clutch.
Only failures have been.....
- front discs and pads replaced at 100,000, discs nearly worn out, non-oem parts fitted
- rear UJ on rear propshaft failed at 150,000
- glitch with central locking when water/mud got into trailer plug, that took some finding!!!
- do all my own servicing apart from the 100kand 200K
-cruise control stopped working recently, replaced button on clutch pedal to no avail. Will not bother further, not too important to me
- problem last week with diesel filter in engine bay (see post in engine section). Now fixed by application of more thought from self!
Usual tyre and damper replacements
Essentially a very happy owner

I've got an 08 manual diesel with 140,000kms on it.
Did the clutch at 115,000kms. No other problems.
It gets serviced every 10,000kms. And gets driven hard.

durability

:wash_truck:In my opinion the driver will play more part in the durability than the vehicle itself. At the end of the day all cars involve mechanical motion in order to drive. Over time each and everyone of these parts will wear and eventually break down. Not only regular servicing and fault finding is required, but the correct car should be chosen for YOUR needs. Just because we drive capable 4x4s doesnt mean we can abuse them, eg continuously towing 3000kg. If the driver can develope a simple comon sense attitude it will prevent or even detect a breakdown before it even happens.

:wash_truck:In my opinion the driver will play more part in the durability than the vehicle itself. At the end of the day all cars involve mechanical motion in order to drive. Over time each and everyone of these parts will wear and eventually break down. Not only regular servicing and fault finding is required, but the correct car should be chosen for YOUR needs. Just because we drive capable 4x4s doesnt mean we can abuse them, eg continuously towing 3000kg. If the driver can develope a simple comon sense attitude it will prevent or even detect a breakdown before it even happens.

+ 1 on that.
With anything mechanical the only garuntee you have is that sometime in he future it's going to break down.
How mechanicaly sympathetic you drive will push that out.

Latest posts

Back