D40 Electronic Boost Controller

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade193

Reaction score
After reading through dozens of posts and threads and searching online i haven't been able to get a conclusive answer so i hope it can be resolved here.
I was just about to buy an electronic boost controller but wanted to make sure it will work with a diesel. I've read that because the D40 2.5 has a VNT that an electronic boost controller won't work like a normal turbo. Is that correct?
Also, will it be of any noticeable benefit? I've seen that the standard boost is 18-19psi and have seen people increase theirs to 23/24psi.

What have others done?

Ive got a manual boost controller and i hated setting it up..electronic would be far easier..mine is cut in just before the boost sensor..then piped back out to the boost sensor.if the electronic one does the same.or if it just clamps the voltage ...then unclamps voltage at just before your required max.that would work also.

I've got the EGR blank, exhaust, and hot side hard pipe.
I'm looking at a Greddy Profec B spec 2. My cousin has one and said you can control min and max boost etc

Camo.b how do you know how much boost you are running? Have you got a gauge?

Yep ive got a guage.its plumbed into the same pipe but before the boost controller.you can also check it via obd and the torque app.but not once you fitt the boost controller as it spoofs the boost sensor untill it releases at max boost...im googling the controller now...

That one might work.but a dumber one could be better...nav really only need a simple one.google a manual boost controller...see how they work and find a electronic equivelent.

I thought you would have noticed just a few psi.
Why do you think a "dumber" controller would work better?

Ive seen a turbosmart one...it was a 50mm guage type that you can preset the max boost...i grab some links back in 5

I did some more reading between drinks the other day...all it needs to do is hold back the boost pressure from the boost sensor.if it can do that which i think it can you be on a winner!

It looks like the 140kw doesn't have a mechanical wastegate which is what the boost controller is supposed to tap into.
I've looked but can't any hoses off the turbo to tap into, so i'm assuming an electronic boost controller can't work but i'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
Anyone done it with a 2011 STX D40?

Go on the patrol forum and search "dawes and needle valve". It's how they manually control max boost and spool up rate on the crd zd30s with a vnt turbo, it's probably what you need. Electronic boost control is probably a blow off valve.

It looks like the 140kw doesn't have a mechanical wastegate which is what the boost controller is supposed to tap into.
I've looked but can't any hoses off the turbo to tap into, so i'm assuming an electronic boost controller can't work but i'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
Anyone done it with a 2011 STX D40?

VNT turbo's don't use waste gates. the vanes move in and out to adjust the boost.
The hose required to change the boost is on the right hand side of the intercooler (left hand side when looking from the front) in the exit pipe just before the pipe disappears past the radiator. This is where ECU gets it's boost reading from. If you disconnect the sensor and put in a piece of tubing with the boost controller tee'd into it and then remount the factory sensor to the other end.
It's a bit of a fiddly job compared to a wastegated turbo but can be done and as stated earlier you'll need a external boost gauge as the ECU wont be seeing the correct the boost because your tricking it so you can't rely reading boost from the likes of Torque App or Scan gauge.

no need for a dawes valve.

easy way is to do a JPMC has said. simply trick the boost sensor into seeing less pressure than there really is. a cheep bleed type will work well.
if the boost sensor sees 2psi lower boost than normal it will operate the turbo to increase the boost by 2psi.

Latest posts

Back