D40 gets hot when towing - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph

Reaction score
Hi
I have an 06 stx diesel manual and recently it has started to get hot when towing. It has had a new thermostat, coolant and the fan serviced it gets hot on long climbs or when sitting just over 2000 RPM. It's only towing about 2.3 tonne at most, take the boat off and will sit on 120-130 kmh @ 2500 rpm no worrys.
Any suggestions on a cause?

On one hill it's standing start and get to fourth the rest of the time it's normal road between fifth and sixth. It wants to go harder but common sense and watching the temp gauge stops me from going any harder. It gets up to the notch before top of gauge and slowly comes down

It will make it a slow trip 60-80, wouldn't that give less air flow and more revs?

Yeah that was why I changed it, I just thought hot day and it was due. It was pulling a lighter trailer that time, you can feel the air being pulled thru the radiator. Just when you keep it on 2000 rpm or just above it starts climbing

Not sure what your problem would be but I have towed my van in excess of 2.5t on stinking hot days & the temp needle has not moved. I will however hear the roar of the fan when it kicks in from time to time. No snorkel (until recently) & no aftermarket exhaust.

Yeah that's what it used to be like, a bit annoying when it says capable of 3 tonne

Try keep the revs up to it a bit, I've noticed my d22 gets a bit warm if I dont use the revs alot. So on the highway I keep it in 4th and give it to it.

Even if your moving slower your using the gearbox to do the work rather then the engine. faster is not always better.

if your really worried, turn the fan temp to HOT and use it as a 2nd radiator ;-)

I tried the heater on Sunday and it did help a bit. I will give 4th a go and see if that helps,
Thanks for the ideas

If you have all the stuff behind the front grille ok, could it be driving lights and/or winch blocking some of the airstream?

If you are not hearing that fan kick into full gear, it's possible that the clutch has let go in it. It's pretty easy to tell. Get the engine nice and hot then pull over, turn off the engine and try moving the fan by hand. It should be quite difficult to move. If it's not, the fan is shot. Make sure you start the car again fairly quickly - the turbo's bearings will be hot and will not appreciate the stagnant oil.

That could be it I haven't really heard it roar only when cold and you get going. It only has two light force 240 blitz on the front no winch. The mechanic put a silicone type stuff in the fan to see if that would help as Nissan say it isn't serviceable and want over a grand for a new one. I will get it hot and try that when I get home on the weekend. Thanks for that old tony

It could be a head gasket or a cracked head. You dont always get water in the oil or bubbles in the radiator when the head gasket or head is cracked.

Is it using any water at all?
or does your overflow bottle fill to the brim when it is hot?
Is there any oily residue in the overflow bottle, or lid of the bottle?
When it is at running temp is the over flow bottle or radiator getting bubbles popping when they hit the surface?

Last edited:
You smell the coolant sometimes but it's not dripping like it has dumped any, there is no residue and doesn't appear to have any bubbles. If you top it up it Just spits it out till it has it's level again

Latest posts

Back