D40 - Is it really the evil son bitch it is made out to be?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete22

Reaction score
I've done a search but didn't find anything much on this but over on the Exploroz Forum (Nissan Navara D40 Diff problems.... @ ExplorOz Forum) there is a thread talking about a bunch of issues that I've not seen in my car nor head about.....well not all of them anyway. What about you guys are you right up there with all these so-called problems that make the D40 absolute poison?

I think Woody's the only one here with a D40 diff issue, there might be others but if there is they didn't get as much publicity.

Everything else is just internet theory, made up by those who want a D40.

Early D40's had shitty rear diffs. They were doing axles etc.

The pommy site has a heap of complaints on this.

The 2006 D40 had the rear axle shaft recall.

The front diff is weak, that's the one Woody keeps destroying. We rearranged his 4WD switch so that the front drive shaft now drives a spit roast, he shouldn't have too many problems off-road and we should get a good feed at the end of the day.

Imagination is such a wonderful thing.

The rear diff on the D40 is fine, to my knowledge. There were some bearing issues on one of the models as well, might be the same issue they recalled the 2006 for.

I wouldn't say it's an evil thing. It's got its nuances, but just randomly choose any other model and take a look ... Mishitibus Triton's rear axles can fall off, TOYota Hilux's rear drive shaft can fall out and its bonnet striker can fail just like the D40's, while the Great Wall V240 ute handbrake can become a handbreak.

Even the D22 is not immune to recalls. These things happen across every model of every manufacturer, it seems. BMW-5 Series can literally fall apart and the Ford Ranger's cruise control can cruise all on its own (or refuse to).

The D40 is, really, just another car.

it may also be that all the companies that make lockers, do not make them for the front of the d40. The reason being that the diffs and housing are to weak. I think the question may be more about the rear diff, which i think has a pretty hopeless limo. the d22 limo's are much quicker to hook up

The front diff is weak, that's the one Woody keeps destroying. We rearranged his 4WD switch so that the front drive shaft now drives a spit roast, he shouldn't have too many problems off-road and we should get a good feed at the end of the day.

Thanks Tony - i was wondering how i was gonna stop blowing up front axles and diffs.

there has only really been two issue's with my D40 in the two years i've had it.

I've damaged (blown up/broken) the front diff twice this year, is the first issue.
I've had the radiator (plastic) shroud come loose and then destroyed by the fan. It seemed to rattle loose on a trip with VNOG one weekend.

In fairness to the D40, it is now apparant that with all the mods, extras and equipment that i carry on a day to day basis - let alone when i take off 4wheeling and camping - my beast is over 3T every time i go off road. Driving a fully laden 4wd when doing serious off-roading is bound to cause some problems from time to time. If i'd known the beast was THAT heavy, i'd certainly have taken more care when off-road, and probably have done less damage.

Then cut your loses and sell the D22 and use the money to buy a push bike, you'll get change but not much :ha:

I was going to get a D22 originally.....but far too squeezy for my 188cm frame - fourn the D40 a much more comfortable ride than any of the dual cabs on the market the time.

there was a recall for the D40 rear end on the early ones.

Yea mine had that before i got it.Built late 2005. Had the flywheel done at 40000
and they threw in a clutch as well.Clocked over 200000 last week and still goes like a train.

haters gonna hate. theres lots of us that have d40's and put them through their paces and have little to no problems but theres others that have had problems, same with the d22's. just speak to aido

Latest posts

Back