D40 Largest legal tyre size for R16 rims

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazza

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Couple of weeks ago I ditched the commo crowd and pickup up a 2007 D40 Navara.

Found out 4B driving is just as fun as drifts n burnouts!!

The tyres on it are 235 70 R16, cheese cutters!! I have had trouble on the local beaches being very boggy and these tyres really seem to sink. I want to put the widest tyres possible on to aid staying on top of the sand. Standards are 255 70 R16.

My local tyre guy says 265 75 R16 will rub also dont know if these are legal. Hate to smash the thing into a merc or something and insurance turn thier backs!!

Also need to find out if the lift kits are legal. Probably need one with all new shocks and springs as the front end looks a little low due to a heavy ass bull bar.

Welcome Hazza,

There is a D40 Tyres section which no doubt has your answers but be aware that rules could be different state by state so it's always advised to check local rules. There is a general rule of thumb spoken about on here some where.

Same goes for lift kits, they are spoken about here and there are some recommended but rules could vary state to state.

In the absence of someone who might have the right answers for you try searching the D40 section I'm sure they questions have been asked before

AFAIK the rules for WA are the same as most of the rest of the country - max increase of 10mm rolling diameter for tyres, and max 50mm raise from standard height for suspension.

265/70/16 are not legal without engineering, but the difference is only 14mm O/D.

Personally I would suggest the 245/75/16 (Mickey Thompson or BFG's in that size) is your best bet.

the info below is copied from this link http://www.toyo.com.au/TechInfoPDFs/Alternative Wheels & Tyres - Regulations.pdf

it states that in western australia an offroad passenger or commercial vehicle may have tyres up to 50mm larger than standard. i'd say the navara could fit into either of those categories.

that means you could have 265/75/16 or 285/70/16 though the latter may be a little on the wide side for the standard rims not to mention they'll probably rub badly.

TYRES
Overall Diameter
For passenger cars or passenger car derivatives, The overall diameter of the wheel
and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm larger and not more than 26mm
smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.
For off-road passenger or commercial vehicles , The overall diameter of the wheel
and tyre combination must be no more than 50mm larger and not more than 26mm
smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.
Where a vehicle has its GVM re-rated, the tyre load capacity must be capable of the
carrying of the revised GVM, both in total and across individual axles.

i personally run 265/75/16 BF Goodrich all terrains. i'm in NSW at the moment so i guess it's not strictly legal but if push came to shove you could always argue that it's the standard size of the American version of the Navara and therefore doesn't adversely affect the vehicle. wouldn't exactly like to try that though.

anyhow if the above is still current legislation then you should be fine in WA.

shero

Last edited:
i personally run 265/75/16 BF Goodrich all terrains. i'm in NSW at the moment so i guess it's not strictly legal but if push came to shove you could always argue that it's the standard size of the American version of the Navara and therefore doesn't adversely affect the vehicle. wouldn't exactly like to try that though.

yup good luck with that. I can just see the copper nodding his head.... and writing you a canary anyway :p

Ok I think there is a smidge of confusion
the 4x4 is in fact legal on an offroad tye vehicle as in a 4x4 but not legal on a car
This is the relevant info from the NCOP
Tyresize.jpg

the full NCOP on wheels and suspension with lift and lowering regs
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

tyre size comparison
I actually had to take my truck over the pits and it was legally inspected and registered with 265/75/R16 BF Goodrich AT's fitted
tyresizes.jpg

Another thing to take into consideration is that under the NCOP your only allowed 50mm total lift to not require an engineers certificate. So if you go say 12mm lift with tyres then your only going to be able to go 38mm ( 40mm noone will measure or care about 2mm) in suspension lift.
You as the owner are responsible to know what the factory heights are. On my 2007 4x2 ST-X the heights registered by Nissan with the rego people its 501mm for the front and 538mm for the rear. That is measured from wheel centre to eyebrow of the guard.

Last edited:
yup good luck with that. I can just see the copper nodding his head.... and writing you a canary anyway :p

Have you ever heard of anyone getting pinged for bigger tyres on a 4wd? I have been around them for years and have never heard of anyone getting done in QLD, might be different in ACT though.

Matt the difference that is slowly creeping through the country is this stupid NCOP. The ACT has already adopted it and the other states are slowly but surely being just as dumb.However even though they are the new rules of play there are still heaps that dont seem to bother. I know of at least 2 D40 with 26" wheels fitted and not engineered. One even is bagged and the guy just doesnt seem to care.265 on a D40 with 16" wheels good. 285 on a D40 with 16" wheels bad .
Rules written by those who dont know better enforced by peckerheads that cant get decent jobs.

I think a national set of rules is the best approach and I would prefer the rules enforced, I don't like when a 4WD running 37" and 6" of lift is following me down the Freeway at 110kph.

I think 2" lift and 33" tyres would keep 90% of the 4WD community happy, the other 10% are the dicks that are giving the rest of us a bad name. IMO.
Will just have to wait to see what the new VSI-50 brings.

I agree totally but it would be far better if they actually consulted with drivers of the actual vehicles instead of just making the rules mandatory.
These rules are aimed at those who blatantly play by their own rules but it effects everyone

I would like to see a rego inspector do his thing tho.How the hell would he know just what any vehicles height was from factory late on a friday night when the office is closed.
I have actually gone down the engineering inspection deal on my suspension but I would be big time pissed if they were to try to ping me for 2mm .I wonder if the measurements are with the truck empty or full . You could fill up on fuel etc and air down a bit and that would give you maybe 10mm

Last edited:
Pretty hard to consult drivers with out getting biased opinions. Automotive Engineers are the ones who should be consulted.

The rule of thumb my mate uses is if the tyres fit on standard rims and dont foul and no mods are needed then it should be ok. If you have to mod anything then they are too big.
It actually works well and is a fairly easy way to check.
Besides if they look like they fit well then noone will bother to check.
At the end of the day its up to the driver if they want to have their own gear as per the rules or are willing to take a risk.

Today im picking up a set of MTZ 265 75 R16.

Spose we will see if they rub.

Hopefully they will be better in sand than what im running now. I will keep you updated.

Hazza,

How did your new tyres go? Any rubbing? I'm assuming you don't have a lift kit? I'm going to jump up to 265/75 R16's too but I am still weighing up my options for suspension lift.

Cheers

Phil

I've been running them for a while now.

No rubbing.

The next thing is a lift kit.

Latest posts

Back