D40 performance and kms with 33's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probaly will mate, in same boat have "2" tough dog lift and putting "1" body lift in before tyres.

Your right though, so restricted here with all the rules don't think half the cars on the road are legal anyway and still get covered unless it's something stupid or proven to cause accident.

One good thing is though, the cops harrass Commodore etc drivers before 4WDers generally. Our cars arent fast or low, therefore we arent "dangerous". Suits me fine :D

Lol camo.b once you start one mod everything just becomes to far beyond roadworthy.

Yeah your right cobez they generally don't pick on us 4x4 owners witch is good, unless there overly done.

I have run 285/75/16's on my last nav right up to the time it was involved in the smash that wrote it off and no one even mentioned the tyres, not the cops or the insurer of the car that was at fault (and they had to pay $55k for my car plus expenses, car hire towing ect) or my insurer
As for power i could only ever tell when i went back and forth with the stock road tyres, you can clearly tell it has more response on the throttle but its not bad enough that i worried or that made me not want to put the 33's back on.
Fuel economy was also noticeably different especially when towing the camper (yes i did calculate the change in odometer) but again it wasnt that bad that i didnt want to run the 33's i would say its around 1- 1.5LPH with normal mix of driving then up from that with the trailer, BUT as mentioned above you could compensate by keeping the revs down.

The biggest thing that i found was that as soon as i put the 33's on i broke the front diff,,,,,,, TWICE in 3 months, I never had an issue with my 2010 ST in 100,000km and doing allot of hard tracks. I never had an issue with the 2012 ST for 55,000km then put the 33's on and broke two diffs in 20,000km doing the same tracks as i had done in all my other navs inc the D22.
I just think going up 2" in tyres and with aggressive muddies it is prob a bit much to ask from the D40's front diff.
Having said that i loved the extra clearance and the look, BUT with the extra clearance and grip you push the ute further and if you push to far with any 4x4 eventually it will break.
I had done trails with 32"s on and watched 80 and 60 series cruisers snap CV's like twigs and never had a prob in the D40's doing the exact same track, as i said the minute the 33's went on and i mean the very day the 33's went on SNAPPED the pinion shaft.

Anyway just something to keep in mind when you get them on.

Last edited:
I wonder if the is a quality diffrence in parts used in diffs from like cobez's 06 my 08,naths 10 and the late model stuff....not saying your hard on diffs nath but are there other that have busted late model stuff?

Thanks for the info. 😄

I'm very happy to hear about the insurance side of things, probably been my main concern.

Power I was expecting a loss but sounds like it's not as bad as some people have been making out to me so I'm happy to except that.

Fuel consumption also sounds like it's not as bad as been made out witch is good.

I was enjoying reading your post until the part of breaking the front diff lol Lucky my car is still new and has about 2 1/2 years of warranty left so I guess if I break anything I'll take it back with the stock wheels back on lol

I hope there is a difference in quality but in saying that don't even do much off-road stuff yet just starting really, bit more for looks at the moment but definitely once complete wanting to get into it.

I wonder if the is a quality diffrence in parts used in diffs from like cobez's 06 my 08,naths 10 and the late model stuff....not saying your hard on diffs nath but are there other that have busted late model stuff?

No mate most if not all were earlier models, apparently the new ones have a 4 pin set up in the internals as apposed to the early one with 2pin turn out on the sun gears.

Thanks for the info. 😄

I'm very happy to hear about the insurance side of things, probably been my main concern.

Power I was expecting a loss but sounds like it's not as bad as some people have been making out to me so I'm happy to except that.

Fuel consumption also sounds like it's not as bad as been made out witch is good.

I was enjoying reading your post until the part of breaking the front diff lol Lucky my car is still new and has about 2 1/2 years of warranty left so I guess if I break anything I'll take it back with the stock wheels back on lol

Yeah i got away with one warranty claim by doing exactly as you said with the tyres, the second time was an hr before it was written off so i will never know if they would of copped the 2nd one.

I guess the biggest thing was that your insurance wasn't voided with the 33's, also good to hear about the change in the newer diffs 😄

Nathand22 you mentioned your accident so I'm curious are you in Victoria also and didn't get questioned?

have a look at the top right corner of my posts ^^ lol

Im in NSW

I just think as long as your tyres have plenty of tread on them and not hanging way out side the guards , you should be fine. the other point is that if the insurer was to NOT pay me they would of needed to prove that the TYRES were the issue with the crash and that had i not had them on it would not of happened

Oops lol sorry mate still learning the forum.

Yeah you make a valid point with them being able to prove the cause was your tyres.

I remember reading about matthews stx550 artic truck he was talking bout his 4 pinion front diff was showing some signs of wear...definatly been a few posts about broken diffs of late.ive got very little really ruff stuff round here..lots of sand tracks and dunes and mud in winter.guess you just need to take care no matter what

Latest posts

Back